Sign in to follow this  
Wynsong

Colors not true

A client has asked me to put some paint colors she has chosen in her plan so she can see how they work together.  I have created the colors as materials using the RGB code supplied by the paint manufacturers.  When I use that paint material the swatch in the dialog box looks like the correct color.  When i look at a door with that color it looks to dark and too red.  I've tried everything I can think of to just get it to show the actual color but to no avail.  Turned off shadows, used generic sun, played with the properties in the material dialog and many other things.  How to I get CA to show exactly the same color as the paint swatch on the door and other surfaces.  Thank you.

Color - Almond Cream from Valspar website.jpg

Color - Almond Cream material dialog box pattern.jpg

Color - Almond Cream material dialog box texture.jpg

Color - Almond Cream Valspar 3001-4C with RGB settings.jpg

Color - Almond Cream not the same on door.jpg

I think maybe the "Blend with Texture" option may have muddied it up a bit.  Also your sample is 245,229,205 and your screen capture says 245,229,209 but I doubt that is making the extreme difference.

Possibly skip the texture file and just set the Pattern color.

image.thumb.png.230e696e4da567fa2b0418ba2435e466.png

That may get you closer but keep in mind that it will depend on your screen and if it has been calibrated and also the light source and rendering technique.

My screen has not been calibrated.

You will very rarely get exactly the same color when applied to surfaces as Chief will render the view taking into account the different angles of the objects - just as in real life, you will almost never see them looking exactly the same.

Have a good critical good look at the appearane of the walls of the room you are sitting in - I bet they are not exactly the same.

This pic is a standard rendered view with shadows - notice the difference between the two walls where there are no shadows - this is automatic and allows you to see the corner.

1775020968_ScreenShot2020-12-06at6_37_53pm.thumb.jpg.b8fcd82798fa4ca5da0e376739013134.jpg

You can eliminate this effect in a vector view by changing the Shading Contrast to zero.

Here are examples of zero Shading Contrast and 100% Shading Contrast.

Zero Shading Contrast:

Chief draws an edge line in vector view to distinguish the corner - same appearance on both walls.

368350303_ScreenShot2020-12-06at6_46_38pm.thumb.jpg.44c6da8d54630552fe796ff4645d37f6.jpg

100% Shading Contrast - same color on both walls

1427630691_ScreenShot2020-12-06at6_47_07pm.thumb.jpg.957042e5182eb6fc645a8914e057251f.jpg

This pic shows your color applied to the door in a vector view with 100% Shading Contrast - notice how the color appears different on the parts of the door that face different directions. 

1576050695_ScreenShot2020-12-06at7_00_43pm.thumb.jpg.1126ad97e03735aec1e09107d406fad0.jpg

• Upvote 1

In conjunction with the other comments, even if with adjustments you could get to colors to look correct on your system you have no assurance that scenes sent to your client will show correctly, the same as on your system. Most home owner computers/monitors are way off as far as color calibration is concerned, don't be surprised if the client responds back that the colors do not look correct.

9 hours ago, Wynsong said:

How to I get CA to show exactly the same color as the paint swatch on the door and other surfaces. 

My method is to display the target color on screen for reference, and then manually adjust the material color until I get "close enuf"

monitors can be calibrated

printers can be calibrated

but even then it all depends on the lighting and the material the paint is being applied to

take the same material and view it at various times of day and it will look different

always inform your clients in word and in contract that the best you can do is an approximation

have them do trials on the desired surfaces before they purchase too much paint 

Lew

Thank you all. I had tried turning off blending with the texture and it didn't seem to make any difference at all.  I ended up using a combination of Chrisb222 and adjusted the color manually until "close enuf" mainly reducing the red hue.  Also glennw got me thinking about trying different rendering techniques.  Vector was better colors but no texture.  So then I opened up the settings on the renderings techniques.  There in Standard I found I could adjust the interior ambient lighting.  3D > Rendering Techniques > Technique Options > Standard.  By making it higher I got the lighter colors I needed. 

Living room with new colors.jpg

rendering techniques.jpg

On 12/6/2020 at 1:08 AM, Wynsong said:

A client has asked me to put some paint colors she has chosen in her plan

Down the rabbit hole you go. I hope you included for this in your fee.