Force Exterior Door

stevenyhof

I'm running into something strange. I have a breezeway with exterior walls outside the foyer with exterior walls. This breezeway is a porch, and I also have a porch outside the breezeway. But when I place a door, it puts in an interior door. How can I force an exterior door.

When will the Max upload be increased? More than half the plans I want to upload are too large.

Anyway...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MiP7PXJSQYPIi2QCicTqDCYbpM4EWxzi/view?usp=sharing

12.png

8 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

But when I place a door, it puts in an interior door. How can I force an exterior door.

That is odd...
Don't know why it's happening, but if you change say that short porch 'wall' to 'no room definition' you'll get your exterior door.

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Yes.  On that panel.

I changed my room back to porch so I could get that door. 
I checked the option for Interior Doors, and it changed to an exterior door. hmmm - it must be for something else also as that did not catch my eye.
Thank you Michael!

Chief will create either an interior or exterior door based on the room types on each side of it.

If the door is between an exterior room type and an interior room type, it will be an exterior door.  If it is in between two interior room types, it will be an interior door.

If the door is between two porches, like it is in your plan, the program considers this an interior door.  I really can't say why, but my guess is that it has always been this way and that this is not very common.

The good news is that you can still specify all of the settings (such as the casing and materials) just like you can for an exterior door.  All you need to do is check the "Separate Trim and Materials on Each Side" option that Michael was hinting at.

The other solution is to change the room type of the fully enclosed room to some interior room type.  

5 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Chief will create either an interior or exterior door based on the room types on each side of it.

If the door is between an exterior room type and an interior room type, it will be an exterior door.  If it is in between two interior room types, it will be an interior door.

If the door is between two porches, like it is in your plan, the program considers this an interior door.  I really can't say why, but my guess is that it has always been this way and that this is not very common.

The good news is that you can still specify all of the settings (such as the casing and materials) just like you can for an exterior door.  All you need to do is check the "Separate Trim and Materials on Each Side" option that Michael was hinting at.

The other solution is to change the room type of the fully enclosed room to some interior room type.  

Very good. Thank you! Now I know that I can address this when I run into it again.