Just upgraded from X4 need a little help

mjsdesign

Hi I just upgraded form X4 (yes 15 yrs ago) yesterday. WOW things are different. I'm from Helper Utah population 2,000. First of all I cant find any old files as of now but I'm just starting my small business back up and Im getting ready to retire from my job. The first thing I want to do is make a customized border and to save time I was wondering if anyone would have one that I could start with? my email is mjs@emerytelcom.net if someone would like to help me out.

Thanks, Mike

1 hour ago, mjsdesign said:

Hi I just upgraded form X4 (yes 15 yrs ago) yesterday. WOW things are different. I'm from Helper Utah population 2,000. First of all I cant find any old files as of now but I'm just starting my small business back up and Im getting ready to retire from my job. The first thing I want to do is make a customized border and to save time I was wondering if anyone would have one that I could start with? my email is mjs@emerytelcom.net if someone would like to help me out.

Thanks, Mike

You will also notice when you do a clean install (which would be recommended from such a long time upgrade,) that chief has templates for you to start with including the .plan templates as well as several .layout templates to get you started.

If you have old Plans you may need the Ver. X8 Viewer to convert them  , ie Plans with .pl1, .pl2 etc extensions.

this Tutorial should help, click on the Green link on the webpage this link takes you too,  to get the V.8 Veiwer if you need it :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00279/opening-legacy-files.html

image.thumb.png.589daac933e340456db7574d07ba91df.png

PS there are Free Layout templates pre-made in the Templates Folder , just delete the Chief Logo and name and insert your own.

Mick.

I recommend taking a look at the X12 migration guide:

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-x12-migration-guide.pdf

I wouldn't recommend that you try to migrate any of your settings or templates from your old version but you might want to pay particular attention to the sections called "For Files Created in Version X# and Prior".  This should help you when you want to bring any old plans forward.

You might also want to review the older "What's New in X11", X10, X9, X8, X7, X6, and X5 documentation and/or videos to see what all has been changed since your version.

The other approach that might work well is to just treat X12 like it is a brand new program and start from scratch with all of the current training videos.  A lot will already be familiar to you but there have been enough changes over the years that starting from the beginning might be the best approach.

• Upvote 2