Dormer - soffit sticks through ceiling plane

SNestor

7 hours ago, ShaneK said:

Your roof structure on house is too thin,,,, I think.:blink:

Well - yes, to get Chief to work properly it is. But - increasing the rafter depth will solve the problem. 

So - this is an anomaly in Chief that I should submit to tech support ? 

12 hours ago, MPDesign said:

Hi Steve,

I would try joining the roof planes again. It may fix it. Would have to see the plan.

Thanks. The roof planes are joined properly.  I think Shane gave me a good solution. Increase the overall depth of my roof. 

6 hours ago, SNestor said:

Thanks. The roof planes are joined properly.  I think Shane gave me a good solution. Increase the overall depth of my roof. 

There still seems to be an issue in that the soffit protrusions don't seem to be equal and then in the glass house view the roof planes that they stick through don't appear to be the same thickness. Oddly the one that sticks through the most has the thicker appearing roof plane.  Is that all just an illusion ?

8 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Is that all just an illusion?

Yes...they both stick through the ceiling plane the same amount. 

Why doesn't the roof plane trim these pieces off like the other components. Weird...

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

Why doesn't the roof plane trim these pieces off like the other components. Weird...

Does your dormer have a different roof slope than the main roof by any chance? I find soffits don't miter properly when joining different roof slopes in certain situations. Although in your case, that pointed end of the soffit shouldn't even be pointed at all! Maybe report that ;)

• 3 years later...

I often have a similar problem with the valley protruding through the ceiling.

475299805_InteriorValley.thumb.jpg.1d9ee83f1d91df3f93cbfc16d24d173d.jpg

I'm not sure why it does it or how to fix it. I have tried re-joining the roof planes.

I want it to frame the main roof to the flat ceiling and the dormer to be built on the main roof deck, but to get it to frame that way it protrudes through my ceiling. I have attached the plan file.Interior Valley.plan

Thanks, that is another way of fixing the issue. I was hoping there was another solution that would reflect actual framing. Most of the time I rejoin the roof planes to get rid of the main roof below the over-framed gable portion and that seems to fix it as well. But then I have to manually adjust the framing to show it accurately for the framing plan.

The framing actually looks good..and correct. I think what we are seeing protruding through the ceiling has something to do with the soffit. This has been an issue in the past...which I thought they fixed. But - maybe not for every situation. 

I'm surprised you aren't using any "Saved Plan Views". You are working way too hard...

2024-01-31_18-06-52.thumb.png.2d300dc20a4128c82ac852772d2f5f98.png

14 hours ago, SNestor said:

I'm surprised you aren't using any "Saved Plan Views". You are working way too hard...

I briefly looked at using saved plan views, but I already use the active default sets drop down as my different plan views. It only takes one second to get to the floor I want with hotkeys - and then I don't need the project browser open all the time. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the advantage.