Ray Trace not working

stevenyhof

The first ray trace I did took a few minutes. I stopped it because I got impatient. But it must of just finished because I have it. But I could not get another one since. Last night I had it run over night and it is still not done. I did a preview and that worked. I did a larger preview and that just worked. I even changed the time to just 1 minute, but that also never stops. Thoughts?

3.png

12-02-2020_4445.png

12-02-2020_1707.png

13 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Well, now I am adding passes and that is taking a few minutes. I'm at 7 now which looks bad, but the time is not so bad. So I think I'm ok.

You've got a TON of transparent surfaces and very few light sources..a scene like this just takes a while. I think I gave you my email in past...send me your file and I can run this for you on my main machine if you can wait a day or two

38 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

You've got a TON of transparent surfaces and very few light sources..a scene like this just takes a while. I think I gave you my email in past...send me your file and I can run this for you on my main machine if you can wait a day or two

I could wait. I keep adding passes, at 15 now and it still not looking great. I figured I have a lot going on. 
Question: How many passes is minimal for a nice pic? I will try that first - it is working faster now.

Just now, stevenyhof said:

Question: How many passes is minimal for a nice pic? I will try that first - it is working faster now.

That's a real unknown as it dep[ends on many things such as lighting, number of reflective materials, number of transparent materials (especially when they are on top of each other). Also the size of your pic, with Raytrace if you double the size of your pic it will take 4 times longer per pass. Some traces could take hours/100's of passes. My personal tolerance is about 30 passes which might take 10 or 30 minutes on my system.

11 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I could wait. I keep adding passes, at 15 now and it still not looking great. I figured I have a lot going on. 

I would be using a different software for what I provide to you..Raytrace is a fickle ex-wife

4 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

That's a real unknown as it dep[ends on many things such as lighting, number of reflective materials, number of transparent materials (especially when they are on top of each other). Also the size of your pic, with Raytrace if you double the size of your pic it will take 4 times longer per pass. Some traces could take hours/100's of passes. My personal tolerance is about 30 passes which might take 10 or 30 minutes on my system.

Thank you for the info! This give me some direction

11 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

....it depends on many things such as lighting, number of reflective materials, number of transparent materials.....

Many more things too such as number of faces in the model, Ray Trace settings (photon mapping, caustics, focal blur, etc. etc.).  Ray tracing is an art form and for all intents and purposes is unlike anything else Chief related. 

I would like to ask, and I think I know the answer to this while I am waiting on the trace, is that, the picture shows up after like 2 or 3 minutes, so I am assuming that it is continuing to trace? I just took a picture of the screen and now while I wait, it does seem to slowly get clearer - but not really sure. Will it tell me when it is done? So far I have moved on and get a message that it is still working. And while I type this and look at the picture, I cannot say it is looking any clearer. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Will it tell me when it is done?

There is no message when it is done nor does the program have any way to determine this. You decide when enough is enough, each pass refines the scene, at first this refinement will be fairly dramatic but as more passes are completed the refinement will be more subtle. At the bottom of the screen there is an indicator that tells you the number of completed passes and the total time.

10 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I would like to ask, and I think I know the answer to this while I am waiting on the trace, is that, the picture shows up after like 2 or 3 minutes, so I am assuming that it is continuing to trace? I just took a picture of the screen and now while I wait, it does seem to slowly get clearer - but not really sure. Will it tell me when it is done? So far I have moved on and get a message that it is still working. And while I type this and look at the picture, I cannot say it is looking any clearer. Thoughts?

Check this post for my general advice on the subject...

11 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

You do know that you can control the image size

and the duration of the ray trace in the Ray Trace

Options DBX? These settings must be made before

the ray trace is started, and once started can't be

altered other than to stop the ray trace. You can

set the ray trace to run from 1 minute to 24 hours

or you can set it to run from 1 to 999999 passes.

If you really need a million passes you can set the

ray trace time to no limit and it will run until you

stop it or your machine melts into a tiny puddle on

the floor. B)

Image2.thumb.png.939fbb69279fa03ce409a7ad61355d28.png

16 minutes ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Image2.thumb.png.939fbb69279fa03ce409a7ad61355d28.png

Might not be relevant to the subject at hand, but your model looks like the head of a flat head screw which reminds me...

I decided a while back that the flat head screw is the worlds longest running (and perhaps most successful) practical joke.  Whenever we start taking apart a structure that was built 50 years ago...all tied together with 100's of flat head screws,  I can't help but think it was some diabolical genius that pulled that one on us and I imagine he's looking down from Heaven laughing his tail off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Might not be relevant to the subject at hand, but your model looks like the head of a flat head screw which reminds me...

I decided a while back that the flat head screw is the worlds longest running (and perhaps most successful) practical joke.  Whenever we start taking apart a structure that was built 50 years ago...all tied together with 100's of flat head screws,  I can't help but think it was some diabolical genius that pulled that one on us and I imagine he's looking down from Heaven laughing his tail off.

Well I must be doing something right as that

plan is titled "Flat Head Screw". ;)  I just

wanted to add a spot of realism to some 

hardware I was modeling.

Apparently Mr Phillips felt the same way you do.

7 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Apparently Mr Phillips felt the same way you do.

Didn't he invent the screw auger? A special bit that gouges the screw head into an inverted cone? 

@stevenyhof

Before you raytrace that scene, you should see if you can adjust the facet angle of the drywall arch. Try 2 degrees, it'll smooth it out nicely. It looks like you used a p-solid, right?