Bug: different output generated by metric -vs- feet

FreddieAB

Strictly speaking, this is a HD 2021 issue, but there's nowhere on the HD forum for bugs; there isn't one here either (boo), but at least people seem to address the topic.

I've been banging my head against this issue for over a week. Finally did a direct mm/ins comparison, using exactly the same parameters.

I translated the inches into mm, so as to exclude any measurement issues.

To reproduce:

+ Draw a basic 26' 2" x 36' / 8m x 11m rectangle;

+ On each plan, change the left+right walls to Full Gable Wall;

+ Build a 2nd Floor; accept all defaults;

+ Build roof: (stay on the 2nd floor) check Auto Rebuild and Ignore Top Floor; set Pitch=12'' / 45 degrees. Click OK.

+ Goto Floor 1; open Room Spec dialog. Lower the Ceiling Height to 6" / 152mm; uncheck Flat Ceiling Over This Room. Click OK.

The results are shown in the screenshots below.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? Please don't tell me to work in inches - we live in Germany, and inch units do not relate to anything here.

gable-roof-feet.png

gable-roof-mm.png

gable-roof-feet.plan

gable-roof-mm.plan

I don't think this is a bug or a Chief problem.

I think it is user error.

You have different rafter sizes in the two plans.

The metric rafter size is 125mm.

The imperial rafter size is 9 1/4".

9 1/4" = 235mm, not 125mm.

The small metric rafter size is causing the roof to not cut the walls.

So increase the metric rafter size.

I think there are some other differences between the two plans as well, but that is the main one I could find without spending too much time on it.

I don't understand why you are messing around with imperial measurements if you are drawing in metric - why not just do everything in metric and leave it at that?

• Upvote 1

Eric,

I just opened both plans in Home Designer Pro 2021.

Home Designer does have some framing settings and included is rafter size.

The Op said he is using HD 2021.

The rafter sizes are set differently in both plans as I noted above.

Eric,

He didn't say he was using Suite, he said HD 2021 - which I am assuming is HD Pro.

In which case he can have different rafter sizes in each plan.

The fact that the rafter sizes are different in each plan points to him using Pro.

No? 

Have you tried just deleting these unwanted attic walls?  

Metric plans and imperial plans use different template files.  There are a lot of settings that are different in these templates.  Many of these settings are purposely set different so that metric plans will make more sense to people who typically design in metric (usually outside of the US).  Sometimes the settings are set incorrectly though.

Although Home Designer Suite is based on the same engine that Chief Architect Premier is, it is very limited in what settings you can modify.  Home Designer Pro is a much more capable program with a lot more control over the building structure.  If you need a lot more control over the structural details, you might want to consider upgrading to Pro.

If you think you have found a bug in either the program or in the template plan settings, please feel free to report these directly to our technical support team:

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/#contact