Besides the building world do you use Chief for anything else?

ShaneK

• ShaneK changed the title to Besides the building world do you use Chief for anything else?
25 minutes ago, ShaneK said:

I am a snowmobile FREAK and I have been making trail maps with CA for decades.1010949935_2020FullMapCrazy8s_1.thumb.jpg.6c41b06007800ed96290b4bdb296ae28.jpg

Saw a similar post by some nut on facebook... same looking map there too (probably ripped you off somehow). Why would anyone use design software for designing something other than designing what the software designers designed it to design? this is beyond me

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShaneK said:

I am a snowmobile FREAK and I have been making trail maps with CA for decades.1010949935_2020FullMapCrazy8s_1.thumb.jpg.6c41b06007800ed96290b4bdb296ae28.jpg

Shane

I am a retired snowmobile freak who used to put 5000 miles a year in the Michigan UP based out of the Curtis area...your map brought back some of my favorite memories of riding the boonies between McMillan and Rainbow Lodge and over to the old Bears Den bar... Pine Stump Junction...we used to jump across the river at Rainbow and boonie west to Grand Marais...Lake Superior provided the best and deepest snow to play in...last sled was a Polaris Rocky Mountain King...thanks for the memory jog

I am also located near Caro much of the time...daughter has small horse and sawmill operation in Wells Twp...love to meet you sometime

Regards

Rick

• Like 1

I also use Chief to model historic buildings from my family's history

Terrapin Tower at the brink of the Canadian Niagara Falls (Horseshoe Falls) 1833 - 1873

Buttery Elevators at the Niagara Whirlpool 1869 -1901

Buttery Sawmill in Silvermine CT 1745 - 1955

one goal is to place the models on Google Earth

for the Buttery Elevators there will be several models showing the changes over time

Lew 

designing a step and stair combo for assisting my Golden Retriever in/out of my SUV

latest design is using a lawn mower lift as a Dog-E-Vator to raise and lower him

as he is too weak now to navigate the step/stair combo

planning to finalize the cad drawings and possibly apply for a patent

or at least sell the designs to vendors who make dog aids

Lew

14 hours ago, Lakeside-E said:

Saw a similar post by some nut on facebook... same looking map there too (probably ripped you off somehow). Why would anyone use design software for designing something other than designing what the software designers designed it to design? this is beyond me

I'm that nut on Facebook,,,,, :D you are FUNNY a Guy!!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ShaneK said:

I'm that nut on Facebook,,,,, :D you are FUNNY a Guy!!!

in all seriousness though, I've used the CAD portion to model and work through several projects I've made. Seeing a project beforehand in valuable to sidestep and rethink some potential design issues mid build. Most recent design was a router plane I built.

• Like 1

I've made furniture that involved curved cuts, designed in Sketchup (free version) the parts then imported into Chief and sent to layout at 1:1.

The printed pattern sheets are then stuck to wood blanks using spray adhesive, and the parts roughed out on the bandsaw.

11 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

I've made furniture that involved curved cuts, designed in Sketchup (free version) the parts then imported into Chief and sent to layout at 1:1.

The printed pattern sheets are then stuck to wood blanks using spray adhesive, and the parts roughed out on the bandsaw.

Cudos to the creativity, but check this tool out: Simple program and good results.

https://woodgears.ca/bigprint/

• Like 1

Pinewood derby 2016. This was my daughters entry that I may have helped a little with the build... My son's car, which is the flat plate look, won that year in our little troop. He did the hard work. Drilling, sanding and 8 steps of sanding on the axles.

Screenshot 2020-12-02 125102.jpg

20160128_195542.jpg

20160128_195212.jpg

20160128_195447.jpg

20160128_195130.jpg

Edited by Gawdzira
EGO
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jcdurand said:

Has anyone done plans for a gingerbread house? I have printed the exterior wall patterns from the elevations but the roof planes don't seem to work, perhaps because of the pitch. Any ideas appreciated.

If you can get access to a copy of X10, you could use the Print Model command which prints all the elevations, roofs, etc, so that you can cut them out and make a paper model.

This feature was dropped in X11.

Is that what you are talking about?

Print Model

The Model Maker allows you to print scaled drawings of wall and roof surfaces in your plan that can be assembled into a 3D model. Three types of prints are created: walls, roof planes, and a floor plan wall layout template for each floor.

The system arranges as many wall or roof sections as possible onto a single sheet. For larger scale models, a printer with a larger sheet sizes is helpful. If any wall surface, roof surface, or floor plan view covers more than one sheet, it prints by itself on the number of sheets required. Models with large surfaces may require a lot of paper.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 9:24 PM, ricatic said:

Michigan UP

Hey there yupers~!  HAHA.. Snow mobiling on the mitten part myself, never been over the Mac.. hard to believe.  Now I live where it doesn't snow, and I am ok with that.

All the rest of you, WOW, very impressed.. on the talent you all have above just designing houses on Chief.  Great job everyone  

23 hours ago, VisualDandD said:

You had to model a cell as if it were a school

Justin, that is a great way to show the model of the animal cell, put it perspective of what these kids know, and that is school.  

Love that pinewood car too...  

21 minutes ago, jcdurand said:

Thanks! I still have X11 and will give it a go. Appreciate it. Will post a pic if we get it done.

Julie

End of day... I realized you said X10. However, I can't save an X12 file as an X10. May just do the roof planes manually.

11 hours ago, jcdurand said:

May just do the roof planes manually.

It's actually not all that difficult:

1. Create an Orthographic Full Overview.
  2. Go back to Plan View and decide which Roof Plane you want to work with.
  3. Select that Roof Plane, Open Object, check Pitch in Degrees, Copy the Pitch (degrees), and then click Cancel.  This will place that pitch angle onto your clipboard.
  4. Select your Orthographic Overview Camera and use the Make Parallel/Perpendicular tool to make the camera perpendicular with the aforementioned Roof Plane.
  5. With Camera still selected, click Open Object, highlight the value in the Tilt Angle field, enter a negative symbol (-) and Paste the previously copied pitch angle.  Click Okay.
  6. With Camera still selected, click Open View.
  7. Either print that view directly or send to layout (depending on how you're printing your pattern sheets).

Repeat as necessary for the rest of your roof planes, but note that cameras can be copied and rotated or simply rotated copying to create views for additional roof planes.  This means if your next roof is the same pitch, it can literally take less than 10 seconds to set up your next required view.

• Like 1