Crawlspace footing/piers

jmyers

How difficult is it to create footing pads and concrete masonry piers on the footing pads inside of a crawlspace foundation to support beams?  I have not purchased the software, but have been practicing with a trial version to see if I would like to purchase.  I've tried to find videos and articles and can't find anything related to concrete masonry piers inside of a crawlspace.  Typically, the piers in my homes are 2 courses of 8x8x16 concrete blocks on a 30x30x12 footing.  Is there any automatic feature to use, draw by cad, etc.?  Thanks to all that respond!

A trial version of Chief Premiere X12 is available for download right now.  Get it.

Chief has a "post" tool that with one mouse click places a post with pier.  It is typically used for modeling 4x4 timber posts and for lally columns, but for your application, one would just set up the post as solid concrete and 16x16 in size, and the pier pad under as 12" thick and 30" square.  You can readily edit the post to whatever height you need.

As for modeling the post part in CMU so you get the 3D, there are ways to do it, but not so automatic as doing it with the post tool.  I am presuming your "post" has the CMU cores filled solid, so in effect, you have a solid concrete member.  Just do callouts and CAD details to show what's to be done on the con docs.

2020-11-30 15_43_22-Chief Architect Premier X12.png

Thanks Gene!. 

I have added a pic of a crawlspace foundation for one of my homes.  Inside the plan are 4 piers that I am referring to in my question.  I can't find anything in any videos or tutorials that show how to create piers such as those that I am referring to.

1369279922_Crawlpacepiers.thumb.jpg.d8a4651d7cebc6418a182d9927ef3b29.jpg

I do mostly crawlspace foundations and basements. I have several different sizes of slab footings with slab concrete or masonry piers on top with the PT 2x bearing plate already drawn and placed in my template plan on the foundation level. They are placed off to the side and I just move them into the foundation space as needed. Takes a few minutes and done. I usually use the point-to-point move tool to accurately place them and the multiple copy tool to duplicate multiples where needed. Works great.

• 2 years later...

Have you tried just drawing a beam and then using the "post with footing" tool to center them under your beams?  You can setup your post and footing defaults in the framing defaults.  I don't think you can set it up to use a rectangular footing though, just a square one.  

If you need something more complicated, you could probably build the post and footing as symbol that you could then place where you need them.  In the picture above, I might be tempted to create a symbol for the post/footing and then use a distributed path to lay them out.

7 hours ago, ThomasR89 said:

Here is an example of one with more square piers. I'm confused as to why some say dropsil also and why some are darker.

I'm trying my best to figure all of this out...

Typically you draw Floor Beams ( Framing Tools) where needed and use the Post with Footing Tool to place the posts ( or piers )

You may need to ask whomever provided those two plans for you, as it maybe a regional name, but a quick Google seems to show a Drop Sill

is just a standard 2-Ply Beam with a Plate on top ( for increased bearing/nailing? ) probably at the smae level as the Mudsill (Sill Plate), hence the name.

image.thumb.png.60bb1d94183f02510428a9199ad90ea8.png

image.thumb.png.dcd597a229abd0df92508f2d22df1990.png

11 hours ago, ThomasR89 said:

I'm trying my best to figure all of this out.

Hey Thomas,

As mentioned, you will have to model the beams, post and footings manually.  Start by building your foundation wall (walls with footings), then build your floor framing, so you can strategically place your beams.  There is a post with footing pulldown to get you started, then use your floor/ceiling beam tool.  Its really not that hard, just more time consuming than a house on slab.

CRAWL.png

42020 CS.jpg