Window & Door Openings in ICF

WildcatFury

9 minutes ago, WildcatFury said:

just not seeing it in the plan view openings.

Do you have your dimension defaults set up to find them?

ICF walls, which I don't use often, are probably considered concrete walls and as such you will need to make sure that check box is checked to show that extra opening in the plan view as well.

The openings (gaps) are showing in the walls but the opening size does not reflect the actual rough opening size. Example: I have a window in the wall that actual sizes (from window manufacturer) are 37 5/8" x 56 7/8". In the framing specification I have called out for 2" rough opening on all sides. I also marked the "Add for Concrete Cutout" 2" each side and checked show in plan, but plan is only showing a gap in the wall at 37 3/4" as where it should be 41 5/8". 

• 2 years later...

I have figured out how to measure the RO correct on the 2D side of plans, but it is not showing correctly on the window schedule (Top & Bottom).  For EX: This is a 48x53 window and I have added 2" all around to accommodate for window buck (ICF structure as well), but the top and bottom on the schedule does not accommodate for that. That makes building the home a bit confusing... Is there anyway to fix this to show accurately for ICF?

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 3.41.13 PM.png

3 hours ago, buildwithicf said:

schedule does not accommodate for that.

I couldn't get that to show correctly either.  So since I am dimensioning the RO in the plan view, I just removed the RO from the schedule.  

As far as the 2" for your window buck, is that 1.5" for the buck frame and 1/2" for window gap?  Just curious.. that's where I am struggling a little, making sure the RO is big enough but not to big to defeat the purpose of the ICF wall.

3 hours ago, buildwithicf said:

but it is not showing correctly on the window schedule (Top & Bottom)

The Top and Bottom columns are the elevation of the window top and bottom. If you want the top of the rough opening you can use the Header Height column.

Note: The Header Height column was added in X15.

Note: The Top and Bottom elevations are from the subfloor, while the Header Height is from the specified elevation reference.

image.thumb.png.70aa0169742f031db8e1d4aac06667bc.png

1 hour ago, JacobB said:

The Top and Bottom elevations are from the subfloor, while the Header Height is from the specified elevation reference

Thanks Jacob.  What do you mean by "specified elevation reference"? Are these based off of zero? The schedule you show is a little confusing at first glance.  The second window shows the top of the window at 80" but the header height at 202 1/4"..  

I currently don't show my RO on the schedule, but if I did, 9 times out of 10, the contractor doesn't look at the schedule to see the height anyways to care, he's looking at the plan.  I think I will show what you noted as a self check PLUS dimension window RO on my my plan views and details.  

Good to know I can show these heights though...

18 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

What do you mean by "specified elevation reference"?

image.thumb.png.5858220c3d04cd3063b77ef60101e42b.png

18 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

The schedule you show is a little confusing at first glance.  The second window shows the top of the window at 80" but the header height at 202 1/4".. 

Here's the plan. Notice that each of the three windows have a different elevation reference, and one of them is slightly higher than the others.

image.thumb.png.c02f5642b0739ca7004b208017609b20.png

image.thumb.png.caf7b79730faab39bf22c061a92f34c8.png

WindowScheduleX15.plan

Dimension to the center of all openings in ICF and then, on the job site, follow the vendor’s literature as to how to buck out the opening in the blocks.

Logixs has changed their method from pressure treated 2x12s to their own system.