Rendering problem from a distance

gsgriffin

I'm designing an entire campus.  I have many different buildings that I have created objects of and imported into a master plan.  I'm trying to generate a walkthrough of the campus, but from a distance, all of the various buildings will have a rendering issue that appears to be trying to show the plywood beneath the siding or underneath the roof.  I'm imagining that this is a precision point issue on the mathematics, but I'm hoping there is a solution to this that will not require me to increase the thickness of every segment of siding and roofing on all buildings just so the siding is not "penetrated" in the view.

Has anyone come across this problem and found a simple solution?  I am running 32 cores on a processor and wondering if things get out of sync...or with the nVidia 2070 Super card.  It is a little less noticeable on a still image, but a video shows the roof and walls flickering a LOT.

Physically based

Show Shadows

Ray Casted Sun Shadows

Bloom or not

.H.264

Images showing slightly different angles as the walkthrough progresses.  Notice what appears to be the plywood coming through the shingles.  This also appears when moving around with a camera outside of walkthrough.  Appears in standard view as well.  Full overview or camera.  Using standard default materials.

4.png

1.png

2.PNG

3.png

7 minutes ago, gsgriffin said:

rendering issue that appears to be trying to show the plywood beneath the siding or underneath the roof.

That's known as Z fighting. It occurs as the camera gets far from an object.

Fastest possible solution is go into your plan materials, select OSB, change from Matte to General Material, set transparency to 100% and everything else to 0. Might want to save as first if you also have a building in there besides those made as symbols.

Before image.thumb.png.25198b936b52d9b547d67cce2e0ff57d.png

After image.thumb.png.b6a1ec66eefdb6e5c1c61dd48d82ce4e.png

Thanks.  Still a pain that I have to do that for all plans and then have to change that back when other individual views of framing are desired.  Re-export objects.  Re-import and place and.....    Would be great if the precision point was long enough to not have this problem or if there was a setting somewhere.  My computer doesn't have a speed problem, so I'm willing to adjust a config that take more effort on the computer to get it right.  Betting this is not a universal problem with all other programs.

I thought this might happen....making a subsurface transparent simply shows the next surface.  I also made transparent the house wrap, but it appears to be showing the back of the drywall now....looks white as opposed to OSB brown.  Any other ideas?

I would rather not give that a try, but thanks for confirming.  Perhaps others that find this thread will have that as an option.

It sure seems to be a weird work-around for something that shouldn't happen at any distance.  The problem with this option is that as the walkthrough comes close to a building and looks into a window, things will be really messed up.  I know that I can turn up the reflection on the windows or make them gray, but that loses the definition and realism that I am after.  I've made all vehicles show a reflection on their body paint as well as the windows of the vehicles.  Water is reflecting the sky. Would rather not make everything on the buildings look fake.  Perhaps I'll check with tech support if there is a value I could change in the config to increase the accuracy.

Z fighting can happen when structures are a long way from 0,0,0.

Check all your original plan files a see how far away from the origin they are.

When you say you have created objects of the buildings, I assume that you mean symbols.

I would first check your main plan for origin and then, if the problem persists, check all the building plans.

The simple fix is to use Edit Area and move the structures closer to the origin.  

Thanks, Glenn.  Tech Support suggested I add an air gap between the siding and the next material.  May try, but this could be a pain with all the buildings and wall types.  They are aware of the problem and state that they will have a "fix in the future".  They are also aware of the 3D plants flipping between background and foreground and are working on that as well.

I understand that, but what I am suggesting is that you make sure your main plan is centred on the origin and that each of the other plan files that you used to make the individual buildings have been drawn close to the origin before you create your "objects".

Hey Griff..

I had the same issue with the roof sheathing showing thru the shingles also, but only on one building in my neighborhood.  Just so happened to be the middle structure with the shed roof.  Some camera angles it was fine, others not so much.  The only thing I did, and I don't know if it was the correct fix, was to edit that symbol and made the shingles thicker.  It seemed to work, because it didn't do it again.  Again, don't know if this was just a coincidence or not... just throwing it out there.

EATON VILLAGE 4.jpg

EATON VILLAGE 5.jpg

49 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

The only thing I did, and I don't know if it was the correct fix, was to edit that symbol and made the shingles thicker.  It seemed to work, because it didn't do it again.  Again, don't know if this was just a coincidence or not... just throwing it out there.

Yep, that is exactly what I did first and it did work for me as well. That helped for the roof, but I have lots of unique and varying wall types and really didn't want to edit the walls to be inaccurate just for viewing and then back for plans and correct dimensions.  Was hoping there was a fix other than a work-around.  CA says they are working on fixing this issue so we don't have to make quirky changes or care where things are placed to have this work correctly.