Top of stairs connection issue

stevenyhof

15 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

Hello, has anyone got an answer to the issue that is created at the top of the stairs with the gap. See video

https://www.loom.com/share/6832a5bb44b0483ab3330ee62cee0182

Steve - might be some other issue with the plan, or your wall type, or the room...because I don't have the same issue. Feel free to send me your plan...I'll be happy to look at it.

2020-11-30_10-12-45.thumb.png.4f220b086cef7cef7e37bc79b3a05ed8.png

2 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Steve - might be some other issue with the plan, or your wall type, or the room...because I don't have the same issue. Feel free to send me your plan...I'll be happy to look at it.

2020-11-30_10-12-45.thumb.png.4f220b086cef7cef7e37bc79b3a05ed8.png

Here is the plan. 
Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving! I have added more questions for our next meeting, but keep learning things so some things come back off. :) Just yesterday I counted my plans I drew. 41 plans since Aug 2 when I drew my first plan with Chief. 

SND1975 Ron and Katha Petroelje.plan

4 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Steve, just to be clear for the rest of us, your original wall was not 1.5 and I assume that's 1 1/2 inches? Was that the invisible wall at the top of the stairs? If so what was the original thickness? Was it thicker or thinner?

Thanks

Hi Larry, the wall typically defaults to 4.5" thick. I changed it to 1.5" thick and that closed the gap. I do not think that is the solution, although it worked, because it happens like 40% of the time. So I figure I must be missing something or doing something wrong, although it is just walls and a stairs.

Just now, stevenyhof said:

Hi Larry, the wall typically defaults to 4.5" thick. I changed it to 1.5" thick and that closed the gap. I do not think that is the solution, although it worked, because it happens like 40% of the time. So I figure I must be missing something or doing something wrong, although it is just walls and a stairs.

THANKS, I'll keep my eyes open for the phenom...

27 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Steve - I'm not sure what is going on with your invisible walls...but, you are having the same problem at the ceiling. I don't get this issue in my plans (at the stair or at the ceiling)...so, to me it's something with your plan or possibly a room definition? 

I've looked at the invisible wall definition and it seems fine.

See attached screen clip.

2020-11-30_10-47-07.thumb.png.907efd8ff86bd83c5eb07252a6f64ce4.png

5 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Steve - I'm not sure what is going on with your invisible walls...but, you are having the same problem at the ceiling. I don't get this issue in my plans (at the stair or at the ceiling)...so, to me it's something with your plan or possibly a room definition? 

I've looked at the invisible wall definition and it seems fine.

See attached screen clip.

2020-11-30_10-47-07.thumb.png.907efd8ff86bd83c5eb07252a6f64ce4.png

I see. I'm just using the divider wall that comes with Chief. But maybe along the way I changed something.

36 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Hi Steve,

So i was interested in this problem because it has happened to me a few times.  One of the fixes is [Auto stair case], but in most situations the staircase results in just a temporary opening because a lot of adjustments are required after the fact.  

That led me to do some tests on my own using your plan. 

I discovered that you can't put a defined room divider at the top of the stairs because CA just changes that to a 4" interior wall and makes it invisible. (Why does CA do that?)

So I opted for changing the wall at the head of the stairs to a glass shower wall (1/2"thinck) and then adjusting the position of the wall to the riser face and BINGO, gap be gone.

107963436_InvisibleWall.thumb.jpg.c6d6d40bcaaae4256461f9b3b10557f5.jpg

1619839476_GlassShowerWall.thumb.jpg.6b853fefc1496da1d525507d856b9c70.jpg

941466051_WallThickness.thumb.jpg.cc0cbc144720f88548f047b916b2fece.jpg

1732959442_GapBeGone.thumb.jpg.d9959395c8e6e2b5134be69fafacddb8.jpg

I think this is just a bit of a technical problem and CA should add an option to be able to use a room divider with zero width and make it sticky, so it doesn't swap out to a standard invisible wall.  Just saying.

The problem isn't, or doesn't seem to be with your room, or with your particular plan file, no, it seems to be a programmed constraint.  Zero wall thickness is swapped out for a standard wall thickness if it joins a thicker wall.  

2 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Hi Steve,

So i was interested in this problem because it has happened to me a few times.  One of the fixes is [Auto stair case], but in most situations the staircase results in just a temporary opening because a lot of adjustments are required after the fact.  

That led me to do some tests on my own using your plan. 

I discovered that you can't put a defined room divider at the top of the stairs because CA just changes that to a 4" interior wall and makes it invisible. (Why does CA do that?)

So I opted for changing the wall at the head of the stairs to a glass shower wall (1/2"thinck) and then adjusting the position of the wall to the riser face and BINGO, gap be gone.

107963436_InvisibleWall.thumb.jpg.c6d6d40bcaaae4256461f9b3b10557f5.jpg

1619839476_GlassShowerWall.thumb.jpg.6b853fefc1496da1d525507d856b9c70.jpg

941466051_WallThickness.thumb.jpg.cc0cbc144720f88548f047b916b2fece.jpg

1732959442_GapBeGone.thumb.jpg.d9959395c8e6e2b5134be69fafacddb8.jpg

I think this is just a bit of a technical problem and CA should add an option to be able to use a room divider with zero width and make it sticky, so it doesn't swap out to a standard invisible wall.  Just saying.

Thank you Doug. Steve Nester had a good idea also by using a wall and stripped down door jamb. This also fixed it. So now we have a number of ways to deal with the issue.
Thank you everyone!

3 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

It was running the wall into a window, so I made it jog and that fixed the ceiling

2.png

Now that I see what I did here, there is no reason to have two rooms. I can just create one room and jog the line to the right to the stair wall.

3.png

41 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

It was running the wall into a window, so I made it jog and that fixed the ceiling

2.png

Good catch Steve...

But - no need to jog it all the way over to the exterior wall. Just intersect it with your other invisible wall...and it'll fix the issue.

2020-11-30_11-39-17.thumb.png.3e1d851123850bc62ab95792dad749dc.png2020-11-30_11-41-15.thumb.png.fc72bfdd41c34f1ef72d5ff414212539.png

9 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I saw the room divider suggestion and posted there. Here is the plan with room divider default changed, wall across stairs set to room divider and moved closer, then extra invisible wall deleted. Is this what you are after?

image.thumb.png.3a25deb2076acba37152c5cbd92c6bcc.pngWall adjusted.plan

That is amazing. I have tried to make the room divider 0, but it would not let me. That is best of all. I will mess with that. Thank you Mark!

4.png

10 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

That is amazing. I have tried to make the room divider 0, but it would not let me. That is best of all. I will mess with that. Thank you Mark!

4.png

So I looked at my divider wall wall type and it is set to 0 - it is exactly as shown in the image. So, how do you force the wall to remain as a thin line?

Edited: So I see that my wall type changes to Interior-4 and turns into invisible. How do I keep the wall type as divider wall?

"So I see that my wall type changes to Interior-4 and turns into invisible. How do I keep the wall type as divider wall?"

The program doesn't want you to because as a general rule, this wall won't work.  In the real world, you will probably need to have framing and drywall in any situation where the either the floor height or ceiling height changes.  In order to to build the 3D model correctly, the program uses a normal interior wall.

If you don't want to display this wall in plan view, just turn off the wall's layer and draw your own dashed line wherever you want.  If you really want the program to build a very thin wall, instead of a real interior wall, then create a custom wall type with a very thin 1/16" single layer.  I believe that as long as your wall has at least some thickness the program will not convert it automatically into an interior wall.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

How do I keep the wall type as divider wall?

Wall defaults, room divider, wall type, set thickness to 0.01

It will still read as "0"

Correction Alaskan_son says NOT to set in default but make a new wall ype see here

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Dermot said:

"So I see that my wall type changes to Interior-4 and turns into invisible. How do I keep the wall type as divider wall?"

The program doesn't want you to because as a general rule, this wall won't work.  In the real world, you will probably need to have framing and drywall in any situation where the either the floor height or ceiling height changes.  In order to to build the 3D model correctly, the program uses a normal interior wall.

If you don't want to display this wall in plan view, just turn off the wall's layer and draw your own dashed line wherever you want.  If you really want the program to build a very thin wall, instead of a real interior wall, then create a custom wall type with a very thin 1/16" single layer.  I believe that as long as your wall has at least some thickness the program will not convert it automatically into an interior wall.

Hi Dermot,

There is a myriad of situations that require a room area to be divided that have nothing to do with an actual physical barrier.  For example CA does a great job of calculating room areas.  For example, a room divider can separate rooms that are divided by purpose and not by construction.  Common ones are kitchen/dining room, or dining room/living room.  These room size calculations are used to determines the minimum size for a window size as required in the Ontario Building Code (pretty much the same as Canada's National Building Code).  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Hi Dermot,

There is a myriad of situations that require a room area to be divided that have nothing to do with an actual physical barrier.  For example CA does a great job of calculating room areas.  For example, a room divider can separate rooms that are divided by purpose and not by construction.  Common ones are kitchen/dining room, or dining room/living room.  These room size calculations are used to determines the minimum size for a window size as required in the Ontario Building Code (pretty much the same as Canada's National Building Code).  

I will 

17 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Wall defaults, room divider, wall type, set thickness to 0.01

It will still read as "0"

Correction Alaskan_son says NOT to set in default but make a new wall ype see here

I will give this a try. When a wall changes to a thickness, even room sizes are off, like you are saying between kitchen and dining.