Creating Access in Garage Floor

TotalStation

Hello,

I have created an access to a crawl space from my garage. As you can see in the attached photo i want to have the garage floor go over top of the foundation wall where the access to the crawl space is located. Any advise on how to accomplish this?

P.B 

CA X12

ACCESS.pdf

1 hour ago, ShaneK said:

I have built a few homes with stairway to basement in garage,,,,,,, not against code.

I'm not an Architect, only an electrician.  Here in PA, USA., I've seen stairs in garages to the basement with a fire rated door and fire rated walls around the staircase.  The door was required at the top and not permitted at the bottom.  The door also had a 4" concrete curb under the threshold.

The problem is gasoline fumes are heavier than air and will accumulate at the lowest point. 

An open staircase or non fire rated walls, door and 4" concrete curb would require the electrical at the lower lever to be Class 3, Division 3, Explosion proof.  The cost in material is outrageous, one switch is $400.  That's not a problem since the building inspector would turn the design down.

All I'm saying is a call to the local inspector may be a good idea.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, NovaScotiaBuild said:

Hello,

I have created an access to a crawl space from my garage. As you can see in the attached photo i want to have the garage floor go over top of the foundation wall where the access to the crawl space is located. Any advise on how to accomplish this?

P.B 

CA X12

Where is your project located? If you are in Canada..like maybe in Nova Scotia perhaps...the garage floor CANNOT extend over the foundation walls at the access perimeter. The building code requires a minimum 2" curb to contain the 'spill' of heavier-than-air fumes into conditioned space...regardless of the type of door that may be located at the lower level.

In some instances, access to the basement is via a stair from the garage. In such cases, a curb must be installed
at the edge of the garage floor area and must be sealed to the foundation wall, curb or partition between
the garage and adjacent spaces.
See Figure A-9.35.2.2.(1).

image.thumb.png.4bd0fc1731e8eec4c42135d452f01afd.png

• Upvote 2