WHY CAN'T I DO THIS EASILY

raltd9245

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, lbuttery said:

Roof planes and skylights.

Hmmm, interesting workaround

if that does work then it should be something CA could program as a new wall type etc

Lew

You are absolutely correct Lew. Happy New Year. 

I'm afraid it's a whole lot more complicated.  Wall types by definition are a uniform thickness.  Doors and Windows are vertical elements that fit in vertical walls.  I would bet that the walls you show in that picture are vertical on the interior and simply sloped on the exterior.  The Doors and Windows are inserted into the walls.

For CA to create a "Wall Type" for this is would require a completely different definition of the Layers and their angles relative to vertical.  

Note that Roof Planes and Skylights present other problems.  A Skylight used as a Door would not really work since the door really needs to be vertical.

Typically I show such walls with one or more exterior room moldings to get the slope for my 3D Perspectives.  I then create CAD details to show how they are to be built.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

Chief "ARCHITECT"?

you are 100% incorrect. ask chief for the number of architects that use their program, I think you would be surprised at the number. I order for Chief to grow they need to market all fields not just builders.

Note that if the walls are in fact sloped on both the inside and the outside and only "windows" exist in the sloped walls - then Roof Planes and "Skylights" would be the way to do it.  However, you could not currently show the "Windows/Skylights" in Plan View since they would not be shown at the correct size.  They would show correctly in 3D Views.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, raltd9245 said:

you are 100% incorrect. ask chief for the number of architects that use their program, I think you would be surprised at the number. I order for Chief to grow they need to market all fields not just builders.

High or Low? I would think low in proportion to the number of architects that use the Big Boy Programs ( Archicad, Vectorworks, Revit, & ACad). One might venture to say that more homeowner dablers use some incarnation of chief than architects? The majority has to be builders, remodelers and non-licensed "residential designers".

The name implies "Architect" unless of course "Chief" refers to Native Americans, which is most certainly does not.

Just now, lbuttery said:

vertical on the interior and simply sloped on the exterior

Joe:

could that be handled the same as double walls in a basement ?

Lew

NO.  If a wall type was to be other than uniform in thickness then what layer(s) of the wall definition should vary and by how much?  This just isn't something that makes sense in terms of an "assembly" of material layers.

• Upvote 1

Lew,

So how does that apply to Windows, Doors and Basement Walls? 

Perhaps CA could program a new feature but that doesn't necessarily mean they should.

IAE, it would require an entirely different type of object that could be recognized as being substituted for a wall (to define a room) and would need very special handling of doors and windows.  ie:

• Where and how are those items placed in this object?
  • Would Doors be placed at the interior face and how thick would the Jamb be?
  • Would the Windows be placed the same or on the slope of the exterior face and how thick would the Jamb be?

The possible parameters and conditions are too varied to make this a reasonable software automated solution.  It's a programming nightmare - a virtual "rabbit hole".

• Upvote 1

BTW, from a practical standpoint, installation of an actual Window in anything other than a vertical or negatively sloped wall is a waterproofing disaster.  Skylights are designed for such conditions but Windows aren't.  Doors obviously just don't work if they are not installed plumb.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, raltd9245 said:

You are absolutely correct Lew. Happy New Year. 

As Joe said, I don't think it'll happen as a sloped wall type... but they could integrate 'roof types' into the program which would enable us to pre-define different roof types and quickly switch between them, making doing something like this faster and easier by having a roof all set up with the proper settings to be used as a sloped wall.  

In the early days of Chief there were no roof tools

workarounds were created to use terrain as roof planes

eventually Chief had roof tools

I doubt if CA programmed terrain to act as roofs (does anyone know ?)

but they did see the desire/need for them

Lew

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, lbuttery said:

In the early days of Chief there were no roof tools

workarounds were created to use terrain as roof planes

eventually Chief had roof tools

I doubt if CA programmed terrain to act as roofs (does anyone know ?)

but they did see the desire/need for them

Lew

Lew, I've been using Chief since 1998 (version 5, I believe) and don't remember not having the roof tool. When I started, there was no Terrain Tool and the big Work-a-Round Tool was the Interior Soffit Tool and "Electronic White-out".

As a matter of fact, it was Chief's (more user friendly) roof tool that pushed me in the direction of purchasing Chief '97  vs. Softplan 9. That and the fact that Softplan was still DOS or just changing and cost around $1500,  when Chief had a pre-upgrade sale for $599.00 (if I remember correctly).Back then, version upgrades were under $200.00 and occured every 18 mos to 2yrs (and I looked forward to them until the unnessessary upgrade from V9 to V9.5). BB

21 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

BTW, from a practical standpoint, installation of an actual Window in anything other than a vertical or negatively sloped wall is a waterproofing disaster.  Skylights are designed for such conditions but Windows aren't.  Doors obviously just don't work if they are not installed plumb.

Lew,

"It can't be done!!! Like my drill Sergeant said "the only cant.is cant right and cant left. I believe that the brains at chief cou;d if so motivated. Windows and construction details are up to the designer.

Ron