Selling Plan File?

chevoldsmoyota

I was recently approached to draw an addition to a large govt. building.   I did so and they were pleased with the results and paid me for the job.  Now they are wanting to purchase the plan file from me so they can use it with their own CA license.  How much should I charge for something like that?

The first question that comes to my mind is did you sign a contract for this job, and is so, what were the conditions of who owns the design.  The second question I would ask is what did you agree to give the client in terms of transferring the design information to the client?  Without knowing those answers, it is difficult to formulate a helpful answer.

If you don't have to sell or transfer it to the client, why would you?   How long would it take someone to reverse engineer the building from what you gave them?  If you feel you should transfer the file, charge about 25% of what your hourly rate would be to recreate the file from your transferred drawings.  Just my thought.  Anyone else?

8 hours ago, chevoldsmoyota said:

I was recently approached to draw an addition to a large govt. building.   I did so and they were pleased with the results and paid me for the job.  Now they are wanting to purchase the plan file from me so they can use it with their own CA license.  How much should I charge for something like that?

If you are sure you can't convince them to continue to use you for any future needs, than you have a choice to make. If you will sell, you want the highest price you think they'll pay before they just recreate the plans and model from your drawings. While initially it goes against the grain to sell, it may be the highest money per hour you ever make. And it certainly will be money you didn't have before! Can you use that money? Got a hobby? Christmas presents?

On 11/28/2020 at 3:09 AM, johnny said:

You used Chief for a large government building?...and "they" have their own copy of Chief to mess with the file?  That alone is interesting.

Hey Johnny here is a relatively big commercial building I did using CA. X10 runnibg on mac book pro.Actually not an easy task for chief to run smooth when when plans get bigger.

w 3 1.jpg

w 3 4.jpg

w 3 5.jpg

21 hours ago, yusuf-333 said:

Hey Johnny here is a relatively big commercial building I did using CA. X10 runnibg on mac book pro.Actually not an easy task for chief to run smooth when when plans get bigger.

w 3 1.jpg

w 3 4.jpg

w 3 5.jpg

Nice work Yusuf.  I'll always admit that Chief is a good tool to make pretty pictures - and I'm sure with tons of 2D work on the plan side it can work for ConDocs.  What I will say is having used other apps for commercial work where the BIM model is also of a quality where you can cut sections and details that are representative of the actual assembly method, the idea of drafting 2D details in Chief sounds arduous....let alone the lag issues with such a file.

I've completed some conceptual work for Commercial projects in Chief and it wasn't fun (compared with apps designed for commercial).

Thanks for all the input. . .in the end, I spoke with the county representative and we decided it would be easiest in the long run if I made the changes for them.  As has been alluded to, a file this big gets complicated and has a lot going on that would take a while to reverse-engineer. 

Robert - I understand what you mean by "it may be  the highest money per hour you ever make."  Now I'll have to actually work for it! 

Here are some pics just for fun.

Craig

courtroom.png

lobby.png

exterior 1.png

exterior 2.png

exterior 3.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/26/2020 at 9:09 AM, chevoldsmoyota said:

I too have had clients request my plan file for similar reasons which I am very uncomfortable doing. I'd be curious to get more opinions from my fellow Chiefer's about what would be adequate compensation for providing a plan file. My initial thoughts are 25-50% of the original project cost or, if working hourly, a $20.00 - $30.00 premium on my hourly rate. 

What do you think?

Personally, I would not have hesitated to sell the file. I would have required a release of liability. Also, based on the scope of that building and it being a government agency, you would probably have been rehired to fix the problems they were having after starting to make modifications.  I would have based the price on what was the most I thought they would pay plus about 20% and then when they negotiate down the 20% we all win.