General Notes, text, columns and Numbered Bullets

Patriciax1

I have looked though quite a lot of the Q & A's but couldn't find an answer to my problem.

I've seen others with the same problem but didn't find a solution.

(for example) I am trying to create notes that would consist of 3 columns with bullets that go 1 to 14.First I discovered there isn't the ability to create columns in the text editor provided with Chief, at least not that I could figure out.

I have tried manually creating the 3 text boxes but then bullets start over with the number 1. 

Can someone tell me:

1. Can the text editor provided with Chief allow for columns.

2. If not, how do I change the bullet numbers to start where I need them to.

3. Is there a way to go past the number 9. Once I reach 9 the next number is 0 and it starts over again. 

I've been using AutoCAD since the 80's and this text editor is not very good when it comes to this. I have also tried creating the notes in Word and coping them into the text editor but then I loose the columns and the bullets just turn into basic numbers. Is there a way to choose which text editor change be used.

Hi Pat

I too would welcome column text, especially the way AutoCAD does it.

Basically you select the text you wish to reformat, specify how many columns you want and the text flows from one column to the next. If you make any edits, insertions or deletions,  the text reflows into its assigned columns automatically.

This feature is very important, especially  if, like me,  you handle a lot of text eg. construction or specification notes.

It is a weakness of Chief.

Maybe in a future release?

We can live and hope.

Likewise, I am trying to wean myself off AutoCAD but there are some things Chief cannot do (at least not do well enough).

Most of my projects have at least one full page of text (A2 or A1).

You can cut and paste text from AutoCAD into Chief but you  should use the paste special option in Chief (Alt+SHIFT+V)  topaste into Chief.

The text window can then be adjusted to suit but you may lose some formatting eg. Bold text becomes 'un-bolded'.

It is not at least to me obvious what you are trying to create.  Sounds like you want a note schedule which Chief will actually do automatically for you.  Most likely if you explain (picture even better) what you are trying to do someone can help you understand how the tool in Chief Architect does it.

Is it anything like one of these: image.thumb.png.59210f30976083dbd650ec3f479a4bf3.png

This is typical for most of the drawings I do. I did notice that there is a notes schedule but wasn't sure how that worked for something like this. I will have other pages with numbered notes as well. Can you tell me how to start using the notes schedule (what command)?

image.thumb.png.8b1b4066582a0c3092f7ddf2d72bd132.png

27 minutes ago, Patriciax1 said:

This is typical for most of the drawings I do. I did notice that there is a notes schedule but wasn't sure how that worked for something like this. I will have other pages with numbered notes as well. Can you tell me how to start using the notes schedule (what command)?

So you are looking at adding a set of default notes.  Best is to use the Text File for that.  Or many will use word and copy and paste it into a text box.

I can do that, but it's not what I'm looking for. I am specifically looking for Bullets and columns. If I paste it from Word, I loose all the formatting. I think the notes option will work for me. I am just checking it out now. The CA text editor has a huge disadvantage over the text editor in ACAD. Its' a minor setback and I've spent way too much time trying different things.

Thanks for letting me know about the Notes, much appreciated.

32 minutes ago, Patriciax1 said:

I can do that, but it's not what I'm looking for. I am specifically looking for Bullets and columns. If I paste it from Word, I loose all the formatting. I think the notes option will work for me. I am just checking it out now. The CA text editor has a huge disadvantage over the text editor in ACAD. Its' a minor setback and I've spent way too much time trying different things.

Thanks for letting me know about the Notes, much appreciated.

Did you try bringing it over from word?image.thumb.png.8aa20979fcd2889b7bbc2edd149cb4bb.pngYou don't need to paste into a text box.  Just click on the plan file (I would recommend using a cad detail page if you are going to put it on your plan page or just right into your layout template if it will go on all jobs.) and Ctrl or Cmd. V or right click and paste.

• Upvote 1

"I have also tried creating the notes in Word and coping them into the text editor but then I loose the columns and the bullets just turn into basic numbers."

This should work but it probably depends on how you are copying the data in.  If you paste the data in as rich text, all (or at least most) of the formatting should remain exactly the same.  If you paste it into "simple" text, you will lose all of the formatting.  You may get different results if you paste the data directly into a plan versus creating a new rich text and paste the data into it from within the dialog.  

The only thing in your picture above that looks questionable to me is the table embedded in the notes.  One of our more experienced users may want to comment on this because this is not an area I have a lot of experience with.  The other thing you might want to do is post the word document and then someone here can try bringing it in.  There are a number of other ways to create that table though even if it can't be imported as rich text.  You could also import it as a cad block, pdf box, or even as an image.  If I was doing this, I would probably just create that table in Chief as a cad block with a mixture of text objects and lines.  I would then leave a space in my notes and just drop the cad block where I wanted it.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but in case someone else finds this useful...

You can export a PDF from just about any program and import into Chief. It will retain all detail with "vector type fonts" that and not pixelated. I used Nitro for this as it allows export to ARCHD etc. This is a couple of screenshots of a "Code Matrix" that is common in Ontario for permits. It is done in Excel and printed to Nitro PDF:

image.thumb.png.4714f86a49f33dd68d1443dfab637f92.png

Zoomed shot:

image.thumb.png.a638faf5f981fd3df4f3467f7672cfdf.png