Sign in to follow this  
John_Charles

SITE PLAN WITH GOOGLE EARTH IMAGE, OVERHEAD VIEW OF HOUSE

Hello All

I am doing a large house design where there are flood plain issues. 

I would like to create a site plan showing a top down view of the finished house (ie roof with shadows) plotted on the site over a google earth image (which shows the existing trees etc, and then be able to show setback lines, the flood plain line and the site boundary etc and the driveway/flatwork.

I have a pdf of the site survey which I have traced to get the outline which I imported as a picture and then created a CAD layer to get the boundary.

I am thinking that this could be done by importing an image into .plan file and sitting it under the model before exporting it to the layout.  Is that right?

Is any doing this and can give me a step by step?

Thank you

I would make accurate cad site plan from legal description,,,,, then overlay your Google photo and get to size matching CAD plot plan. Often I combine both in my site plans. I do not show my building in a 3d view,, I import footprint.

Screenshot_20201125-195605_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

We used Google Earth to do a site plan that had to show the nearby river flood plain

We also used Google Earth to show the client what the various views would look like from the various windows

for a house that was to be built in Colorado Mountains using Chief 9.5

However, that was in 2006 and I don't remember how we did it

and I'm sure Google Earth has improved since then

Lew

It only works in certain situations with a relatively mild or flat terrain profile but it is possible to use your satellite or areal photo as a material for the terrain and you can have some 3D capabilities as well or add what you need with terrain features.