"Invalid header record"

Brett_kansas

Hey everyone, I was moving plans from my laptop to my PC and the files got corrupted along the way. Prior to knowing they were corrupted I erased them off of my laptop.

I was able to recover the files from the hard drive but I get the following error when trying to open the .plan files.  [Unable to read the file "file name here" This file does not have a valid header record.]

Has anyone ran across this before and have a way to revive these files? If not I have lost hours of work but learned a very important lesson. CHECK BEFORE YOU DELETE! :wacko:

Thanks in advance,

Brett

Rooks County - As Built.plan

Rooks County - Porposed layout.plan

We write out a unique header record as the first part of every plan file.  When we go to read in a plan, we check that this header record matches what we think it should be.  If it doesn't match, then we give up trying to read in the file because as far as we can tell, all it has is random 1's and 0's. This basically the same thing that prevents you from taking some other random file and changing the extension to ".plan" and trying to read it in.  

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that the program simply can't read this file.  I have no idea how it got corrupted but it was likely caused by some error during the transfer between machines.  

You may still have an automatic archive file on your laptop even though you deleted the original plan files.  See if this help article helps:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00099/accessing-your-archive-files.html

• Upvote 1