Vector View Question

ACADuser

"I was thinking holes in the sidewalk might be the cleanest."

That should work but it sounds like a lot of manual work.  Why don't you just raise the bottom so that it sits on top of the slab instead of going through it?

And just out of curiosity, why do you have arrows on your roofs?

2 hours ago, ACADuser said:

When a column or other solid penetrates a slab there are no lines at the base when you send to layout.

How do most of you deal with this?

You can create a division line by making a copy of your material. It does not have to be different in any way other than the name.

"You can create a division line by making a copy of your material. It does not have to be different in any way other than the name"

I believe this trick only helps when you have two parallel surfaces that are merged into one.  For example, if you have two slabs bumped up tight against each other they will look like one unless you make one slab a different material.  In Alan's case, it looks like he has two surfaces inside each other.  The program is not currently smart enough to detect this situation and add the extra lines for you.  

The simplest solution is to make sure your surfaces are not conflicting with each other.  Creating a hole in the slab for the columns should work (and might more accurately reflect how it will be built IRL).  I just think pulling the columns up is easier.

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

"I was thinking holes in the sidewalk might be the cleanest."

That should work but it sounds like a lot of manual work.  Why don't you just raise the bottom so that it sits on top of the slab instead of going through it?

And just out of curiosity, why do you have arrows on your roofs?

I was preparing a view to send to the structural people as they can not seem to understand the desired slope of the roof. So I made it obvious with the arrows.

They can be hard headed at times.

I took the columns down to the foundation pads as they don't rest on the sidewalk.

Can you snap to the poly solid surface?

I could copy in place & drag the bottom to snap to the surface.

1 minute ago, ACADuser said:

I was preparing a view to send to the structural people as they can not seem to understand the desired slope of the roof. So I made it obvious with the arrows.

They can be hard headed at times.

You would think they might be able to figure it out by the eavestrough placement but I guess "structural people" are sadly not as observant as they should be sometimes.  Likely they are more familiar with notes from other less illustrative software programs. :(

In the interest of keeping your model accurate and thus not having to do custom cad details to make it look right I would consider changing to a slightly skewed color of the same item so that say your vertical concrete items are concrete 2 and your flat & horizontal is concrete 1.  

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

To be fair, there is no scenario where an accurate model has columns and slab occupying the same space.  Either the posts sit on the slab or the slab is poured around the posts.  

You do have a fair point there, to be 100% accurate he would need to cut holes at each post in the slab.  I guess I was referring to the point where the advice was to pull the column/post up to sit on top of the slab to show the vector line for the transition where as he was embedding that post/column down to the footer as he mentioned.