Turn off a gutter, and it comes back. Bug?

GeneDavis

I've a need to turn off the upper gutters of a roof plane.  I do it successfully in 2D, which is the only way one can do it, but then when I take a camera view, the gutters are back.

Here is my method.  Try it on an X6 new test plan.  Draw a set of exterior walls like I show in the pic, and manually draw a two-plane gabled roof arrangement.

Go to your 2D plan view, use your ALL OFF layerset and turn on just the roof gutter layer, unlock it, select the high gutter line, specify it as "no molding this edge," then LOCK the layer again.

Now do a 3D perspective overview and see if your upper gutter is gone.  Mine isn't, no matter what.  The generation of objects and surfaces when 3D is done somehow brings the gutter back.

post-55-0-81464400-1394237967_thumb.png

Gene......It may be a bug, but this is the way around it. The gutter is just a molding pline. Select the section you don't want, open it and check the dbx to not show molding on line. If you just want to remove a part of the gutter then break the line first. Ca will still rebuild it, but the section you don't want to see will be turned off. This was just enlightened to me by Glenn Woodward------Thank you Glenn. 

oops! Just reread your post. Forget what I said.

Gene, you can actually delete the gutter in 3D as well with the gutters unlocked.  I get the same results you do though.  The thing you need to do is turn off "auto rebuild roofs".

Michael,

I believe the setting that controls this is Auto Rebuild Walls/Floors/Ceilings.

Michael,

I believe the setting that controls this is Auto Rebuild Walls/Floors/Ceilings.

I'm a little hesitant to say this because I know you're such a highly respected Chieh Architect genius, however...

I think you might be wrong.  Rebuild walls/floors/ceilings if checked might cause the gutter to rebuild, however the gutter will rebuild even if the box is unchecked if "auto rebuild roofs" is not also unchecked (both must be unchecked).

Michael,

I see what you are saying, BUT...

With Auto Rebuild Roofs toggled on and Rebuild W/F/C toggled off, the gutter does not rebuild to suit a new roof configuration immediately. 

You need to either Rebuild W/F/C or  open the default Build Roof dbx and OK out of it to get the gutter to rebuild and match the roof.

You need to change the floor plan with auto roofs toggled on to see how this works. The roofs will change, but the gutters will remain where they are.

If you just auto rebuild roofs on the same floor plan, the roofs will rebuild the same BUT the same gutters will remain as they were - you won't see this unless you change the floor plan and thus the roof layout.

You can see what I mean in the attached pic - it is a view from underneath the roof so that you can see the line of the old gutter.

Auto Rebuild Roofs was toggled on.

Auto Rebuild W/F/C was toggled off.

The roof was auto regenerated when the end wall was dragged to make the room wider.

The roof rebuilt to cover the larger room. 

BUT, note that the gutter did not rebuild - it stayed in it's original location. 

You still need to Rebuild W/F/C to get the gutter to rebuild to match the new roof

Once you have a roof fully drawn and built - and you don't want to make any more changes to the roof AND Auto Rebuild Roofs is unchecked. THEN the Auto Rebuild Walls/Floors/Ceilings setting comes into play.

In my previous posts I was assuming that the roof system was already built and finalised because Gene said in his first post that he built the roof manually - and thus had Auto Rebuild Roofs toggled off.

Anyway, the more information the better - thanks for the clarification.