Customer ceilings without exterior walls

PMMully

Hi all,

I have seen the kitchen remodel video that shows how to do a custom ceiling (add a vault) and that all made sense. However, in the example, it seems to pick up from core roof build based on the exterior walls as the baseline. In some simple kitchens and baths, I have been just using interior walls only (no exterior walls) as the ceiling was never required. I imagine I could make a new wall type that is labeled exterior so a roof can be generated. I had one plan recent where I had to capture an existing vaulted ceiling on a kitchen, and I could not find a way to use a customer ceiling plane to make it work.

I am not seeing the best practice out there just yet. Is the best practice to make exterior walls all the time if ceilings will be an issue.

@Joe_Carrick thanks for point that out, I got it working just fine. One last question, how do I get a cross-section elevation to show custom ceiling planes like in this video below? I looked at display settings for the cross-section but nothing is jumping out.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/309/drawing-vaulted-and-curved-ceilings.html?playlist=96

Automatic floors and ceilings are built based on rooms.  Rooms can be created by any wall type including exterior walls, interior walls, railings, or even invisible walls.  

I would recommend you use the wall types that best represent the real world situation.  For example, use either exterior or interior walls based on the actual floor plan and then use room dividers or invisible walls if you want to close off the space to create a room.

• Upvote 2

@PMMully 

If you have "auto rebuild roofs" turned on before you start drawing walls...the program will automatically place a roof on your walls. Does not matter if you use exterior or interior...or even foundation walls. The program will place a roof on the "room".

I have this feature turned "on" in my template. I've set all the roof parameters in my template also. So...each time I start drawing I know I'm going to get a roof on my structure. 

It's fast and accurate...no need to worry about placing a roof baseline in the wrong location. 

For complex floor plans...the auto rebuild roof tool can be a pain, so...you'll have to decide whether or not to use it depending on what you are working on.