Framing, Truss - Editing 2D Outline / Profile

ComputerMaster86

In Chief Architect we can open up a 2D Truss profile and edit it to our hearts content.  What I am trying to wrap my brain around, is why we don't get any corner point edit handles.  This is just one of those very minor things that completely baffles me.   Why allow us to edit the profile of a truss but, not give us any corner point edit handles.  :rolleyes:

image.thumb.png.4f2821f6b2fb5b687a7400ea94152289.png

Just to be clear, what you're showing has nothing to do with the truss.  It's a limitation with framing members.  I do agree that it would be nice if we could edit framing members more freely though.  In the meantime we have to trim them with other framing members to get the desired shapes. 

Was there a specific detail you needed to show Lance ?   If you really had to you could build a truss with polyline solids but with proper editing you can do almost anything you need to even though it could definitely be easier.

I am not needing to show a truss detail.  I was just playing around with roof trusses and seeing if I could model a real-world scenario.  This scenario is where some trusses have a truss tail on one side that is cut-off or-cut flush.  This may happen where a secondary roof section meets-up with a main roof section at 90 degrees.  In think I figured it out.  I edited the roof truss in plan view to achieve a truss tail on one end and no truss tail on the other end.

image.thumb.png.3f3218b6a8c345d5d628d22402eb724a.png

image.thumb.png.486d99d54dbb2b9c3317dd8d536305a9.png

Typically, I don't have a need to go to the trouble of generating 3D framing but, it does interest me.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 1:49 AM, ComputerMaster86 said:

Typically, I don't have a need to go to the trouble of generating 3D framing but, it does interest me.

Looks good.  Unfortunately it seems that framers are the ones that don't like to see the framing details but sometimes it does matter. ;)

• 4 months later...

I found this thread looking for tips on editing truss members and thought I'd update the information here

It's actually very easy to edit chords and webs using CAD lines which do not need to be 90° angles or even straight-- multi-segment lines work too

See examples, I was actually surprised but very pleased this worked:

452360355_ScreenShot2021-03-29at12_16_52PM.thumb.png.15f12be84518ab14ea95059d161c0d4d.png

Resulting trimmed web member:

933700660_ScreenShot2021-03-29at12_25_07PM.thumb.png.1df8846fb6347d23592ef832aad61c6a.png

Just placing this here for future seekers

18 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

It's actually very easy to edit chords and webs using CAD lines which do not need to be 90° angles or even straight-- multi-segment lines work too

Is that a new feature Chris ?  It does not seem to work in X12 or did you select the existing framing members to trim to ?

21 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

I found this thread looking for tips on editing truss members and thought I'd update the information here

See examples, I was actually surprised but very pleased this worked:

452360355_ScreenShot2021-03-29at12_16_52PM.thumb.png.15f12be84518ab14ea95059d161c0d4d.png

Resulting trimmed web member:

933700660_ScreenShot2021-03-29at12_25_07PM.thumb.png.1df8846fb6347d23592ef832aad61c6a.png

Just placing this here for future seekers

You don't even need to draw a cad line! Just select the top chord and side chord and then use the trim or extend tools. 

1 hour ago, LevisL said:

You don't even need to draw a cad line! Just select the top chord and side chord and then use the trim or extend tools. 

I tend to think this is what he accidentally did already because I’ve never been able to get a polyline to trim a framing member like that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LevisL said:

Cool! Yep that works, thanks

I could not find any information on how to edit truss members, except using the join and miter buttons. The help files were woefully silent on it

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I tend to think this is what he accidentally did already because I’ve never been able to get a polyline to trim a framing member like that.  

Nope. Just did it again. Definitely trimming and extending to any shape CAD line

Even tried it with Circle and it trimmed, but did not follow the arc

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Love to know how you did it.  I just does not seem to work for me.  Video perhaps ?

Played around with it more, looks like the shape of the CAD line doesn't matter as much as where it's placed.

I could not make the edited member conform to a shaped CAD line unless it was laid over the other members like in my earlier pics, but any CAD line placed over the other members produces the same result. So the edited member is adopting its shape from the adjoining members not the CAD line.

1088412769_ScreenShot2021-03-29at5_42_06PM.thumb.png.fc2cf2b8012e11bae62806b8fac95432.png

663575699_ScreenShot2021-03-29at5_42_20PM.thumb.png.c925eddf467554d43ebb3ef3ba3576ad.png

Oh well I'm glad for the tip from @LevisL anyway.

5 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Played around with it more, looks like the shape of the CAD line doesn't matter as much as where it's placed.

Thanks for clearing that up Chis,  There is a lot of stuff that is not in the manual but you really had me worried there for a bit.