Snapping problem

gsgriffin

X12 I'm creating a master plan that has roads and large parking areas.  I created roads and joined them.  That creates polyline.  Those polylines do not allow for easy adjustment.  When I click and drag line segment endpoint to join it with an adjacent endpoint, it never snaps and joins.  Instead it moves it very close.  Zoom in. Click and drag even closer.  Still not joined.  Zoom all the way to max and it is not joined.  I have all snaps turned on. When dropping, the "x" at the cursor get a circle....which I thought meant that a snap would then happen.

I also noticed that at times I don't have the larger diamond at the end of a segment.  Instead there are small diamonds at the end of a segment, and those don't drag well.

Does this sound familiar to anyone with an easy fix?

In a parking lot, if I create a median and edit it, there is no problem and everything works fine.  I'm hoping that I don't have to start the whole road and parking over again as this is a glitch.

Capture.PNG

Roads are basically using a polyline to represent the path of the centerline and then have a constant width along this path.  The centerlines of roads should snap together just like normal polylines and I have no idea why this is not working for you.  You can always convert a road to a free form shape using the "Convert to Polyline Object" tool (not the "Convert to Plain Polyline" tool).  Once it is a free form shape type road, I don't think you can convert it back to a centerline path type road.  

For more help, you might want to post a plan or if all else fails, contact technical support.

Dermont, THanks for the input.  I have been trying to convert and edit and back again.  I don't understand or see a difference in the convert "object" as opposed to plain.  The road does convert to plain and then back to a road.  Even when a polyline plain, when I drag the large diamond endpoint to another endpoint, the large diamond disappears from the end of a segment, and now a small diamond (like the mid-points) is at the intersection between the merged segments.  

I was hoping someone else came across this before engaging tech support.  If  not, I will share my results to hopefully helps others that may come across this someday.

I think the OP is talking about getting points snapped back into other points to delete extra point/nodes.  If he just hits the new "simplify polyline" on the secondary toolbar (sometimes docked on the bottom of the Chief UI) shown in my pic it might help you.  The tool is designed so you can get close enough and it will delete those "close" extra point/nodes.

...but yes, Chief has hordes of snapping problems.

simple.png

15 hours ago, johnny said:

new "simplify polyline" on the secondary toolbar (sometimes docked on the bottom of the Chief UI

It only "shows itself when the Diamonds are on the same straight line and Chief thinks the extra node (diamond) is not needed ...at least that is my current experience.

And if you don't see a Diamond on a Corner it is almost always because there are really TWO , very small and very close together, usually from a previous drag and drop operation, so either Undo till it comes back and try again  OR zoom all the way in and drop one of the diamonds onto the other to fix it. ( may take more that one attempt ) ...again just my experience.

M.

You're all correct, but why doesn't it snap? The whole purpose of snapping is so you don't have to zoom in to infinity to find two points mm from each other.

I noticed that when I get close to dragging an endpoint to another, if a square appears, it will snap.  If a circle appears, it drops it close, but not snap.  I even increased my snapping pixel distance, but no joy.  Spent several hours carefully rejoining everything.

What you are seeing is the square indicators that are showing Endpoint Snaps - these are legitimate snap points.

The small blue circles are showing Extension Line Anchors (extension snaps).

They work differently than normal snap points in that they indicate the start of the Extension snap, not the snap point itself, so that if you drag an Extension Line off a snap point and then release the click, that is the point  where the object will be placed - not on the location of the Extension Snap circle which is at the start point.

Extension Snaps can be toggled off individually for each of the 3 types of extensions - Tangent, Perpendicular and Orthogonal..

You can control the number of Extension Line Anchors that are in the history in Preferences.

You can use the 1 key to toggle off any current extension snaps on the fly if needed.