Garage Door Panels

davidstvz

There are plenty of single and double doors in the libraries.  There are also "segments" which you can use to construct a door by specifying the number of these segments that appear vertically.  However, you can't specify the number of stamped panels that appear in such a segment horizontally.  That's baked into the library choices and the only options are for 2 and 4 panel segments.  What about 3?  What about 8? They ought to just have panels ranging from 1 to 10 for completeness.

I at least found a 5x8 panel door in a manufacturer catalog that works for my 18' wide door, but my 5x3 panel 6' wide storage garage door is left looking incorrect.

Is there a way I can create a 5x3 panel door or 1x3 segment in some program to create a library object I can use?  Or does anyone know where I can download one?

EDIT:

Sorry, I just realize there is a current discussion raging about this very topic over in Suggestions:

This topic lingers like an unwanted virus.

Do a forum search for GDW (Garage Door

Wizard). After numerous resurfacings of the

topic I have no idea where we stand on the

availability of the program from the creator.

PM me if you are interested in a free trial.

GDW Test-2.calibz

GDW Test-2.png

• Upvote 1

@Rich_Winsor Thank you! 

@Joe_Carrick when you say symbol you refer to a 3D model? I guess I should look into how I can make my own from scratch. Hopefully HD Pro can do it some way, even if I need to work outside the program and import something.  I don’t guess any external programs can operate directly on the .calibz files that Chief products use.

EDIT: Ok, so "symbol" seems to refer to the special properties of 3D objects which are editable only in Chief, not HD Pro.  HD Pro can import custom library objects, but doesn't seem to have any manner of creating them.

5 hours ago, davidstvz said:

EDIT: Ok, so "symbol" seems to refer to the special properties of 3D objects which are editable only in Chief, not HD Pro.  HD Pro can import custom library objects, but doesn't seem to have any manner of creating them.

You should really be posting over in the HomeTalk forum...

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/?_fromLogin=CA3

That being said, Home Designer does have some options in this regard.  Model your object using your available tools, take a 3D view, and then File>Export>Export 3D Model.  You can then Import this same model as a symbol. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you. I will explore on my own some more this week.

I am considering offering my services locally (and maybe online eventually) for basic rendering to help people visualize design choices in construction and remodel. So I may upgrade to chief at some point. I am using the chief demo, so I can justify posting here.

The home talk forum is pretty barren unfortunate. It’s mostly just solver and DJP generously answering questions for people who don’t stick around.