Apple M1 Chips

Steve-C

I am not aware of any specific feature differences between the M1 Mac and other Mac's.  You may see performance differences though.

One of the biggest differences between Mac's and PC's is that you will not be able to take advantage of the new Real Time Raytracing that is currently only supported on some high end video cards (GPU) that are only available for PC's.

Some more information about the differences between using PC and Mac can be found in the system requirements here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

Hey folks! Great news! I was working away on my 13" MBP M1 and wasn't even thinking about it and changed my camera view to Physically Based and...

IT WORKED!

Apple must have tweaked something in one of the Big Sur updates and now it works!!!! Very exciting news, for me at least!

Also, in case anyone missed it, apparently X13 is supposed to run on M1 now...? I have yet to try it but I plan to install it soon to test. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I just purchased an MacBook Pro with the M1Max chip. I just downloaded X13 and it runs fine.

I've been using Chief for less than a year and haven't had any issues.

I am just stating to experiment with PBR. The PBR seems to work but it does not support all the features on the PC version that are shown in the Preferences for the Video Card

That's a little disappointing, although for my purposes I don't absolutely need "super realistic" renders.

I hope that CA will provide more support for bettering PBR for Mac users.

On 5/2/2022 at 1:03 PM, avstudio said:

I just purchased an MacBook Pro with the M1Max chip. I just downloaded X13 and it runs fine.

I've been using Chief for less than a year and haven't had any issues.

I am just stating to experiment with PBR. The PBR seems to work but it does not support all the features on the PC version that are shown in the Preferences for the Video Card

That's a little disappointing, although for my purposes I don't absolutely need "super realistic" renders.

I hope that CA will provide more support for bettering PBR for Mac users.

You need to download X14 beta, it's specifically designed to run on Apple silicon and it's the most stable beta CA has ever released in my opinion.