2 Prolems With My Roof

Rosco2017

I deal with the first one a lot and was just curious if anyone knew how to eliminate the little artifact pictured here post-58-0-41960300-1416254412_thumb.jpg (Notice the area above the middle of the sliding glass door) I can never seem to get it to disappear no matter how many times I mess with the roof planes. I'm stumped. My second issue is that I can't seem to get the "Full Roof Return" to look right over the front door. I want it to look like the one above the garage but when I do it automatically it creates a little wing that sticks out into the middle of nowhere. post-58-0-79993800-1416254656_thumb.jpg Any input would be appreciated. Attached it the file.

roof trouble.plan

You have your answer in the image which you initially attached.

Break the roof where it's stepped back and force it to make a "return" as shown in the forward gable.

It needs to have a small hip which will connect it to the return section...the same way it does in the other gable return.

post-77-0-35704300-1416256623_thumb.jpg

Alan, yes. Thank you. That area where the sliding glass door is is going to be 2 single casement windows. This is the exterior of our next spec house. we are going to put a single door on the other side and turn the three single casement windows into a slider and put a raised concrete deck off the back of the house. the deck was originally going to be off the left hand side where the slider currently is, however I felt like it would block a lot of light from the windows that are going to be in the daylight basement. Thanks guys for your help! 

I would let the gable over the one story carry all the way through.

If you think about it, that room wants to be a cathedral. Why not let the roof ride along the wall plate the entire way?

The lower roof will also stop the main roof from diving down and creating that gable end wall condition which is slightly awkward.

post-77-0-93874400-1416261165_thumb.jpg

I see what you're saying. That's a good idea. That room is a breakfast nook, and will be vaulted with stained wooden beams. We have a home similar to the spec that we're about to build that has almost this same type of roof (see attached photo)post-58-0-24846900-1416262119_thumb.jpg 

Actually one more quick question. I always use "boxed eaves" on all of my roof designs, but I can't seem to get the eaves to be flat (without the little lip) underneath like we build it in the real world. Is that a quick fix? a setting I'm missing perhaps. See attached photos.post-58-0-05326400-1416262549_thumb.jpg post-58-0-14460900-1416262684_thumb.jpg