shape a cabinet

housewrights

2 hours ago, housewrights said:

how do you shape the back of a cabinet so half of the cabinet is 12" deep and the other half is 24" deep. but the front is unchanged.  that is left side is 12" deep, right side is 24" deep.

Plan will give you an idea how to do it. This is about the easiest way, can block the parts which I left as other finishes.

Included the cabinet door symbol that makes the pipe chase-open symbol and look at origins and stretch planes. Read up on those if need be....

The hard way entails making cabinet door symbols for shelves, sides with toe kick notch, toe kick front

pipe chase.plan

• Like 1

13 hours ago, housewrights said:

that is left side is 12" deep, right side is 24" deep.

A simpler method is two cabinets with openings facing each other, which has the advantage of being a bit easier to adjust depths

image.thumb.png.4e78b4b0a9ae471f0a9d1936888b2ed8.pngimage.thumb.png.48a720ccc71c5e2c0d7b980722afa31b.png

I often think in terms of the first one since I already have a full library of parts to do things like that and just not crazy about arch blocks. Depends on what you need at the time

12 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Plan will give you an idea how to do it. This is about the easiest way, can block the parts which I left as other finishes.

Included the cabinet door symbol that makes the pipe chase-open symbol and look at origins and stretch planes. Read up on those if need be....

The hard way entails making cabinet door symbols for shelves, sides with toe kick notch, toe kick front

pipe chase.plan

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I'll have to study the plan you included a little more. I still don't get it. I'm missing something. 

37 minutes ago, housewrights said:

I still don't get it. I'm missing something. 

Open the cabinet DBX and chack the back tab. The L shaped door symbol is used as a side panel inset. That symbol has the origin set so it goes into the cabinet and the depth plane set outside the bounding boz so it doesn't resize.  The left side is split vertically with a 12" opening toward the back.

Cabinet has no toe kick and is raised off floor.

A polyline solid is the toe kick and another is floated in as aa shelf.

As mentioned a complete cabinet could be made using additional custom door symbols. That's what I normally do since I've already made the parts though often I leave the toe kick if it is not exposed. Making a complete cabinet is more work. Getting shelf symbols correct can be a PIA for me anyway, only bother if I need them.

Variations can be made for pipe chases in the middle of a cabinet vertical or horizontal. I'll dig up. A few and post in a little while