Disappearing Toolbars ! H E L P !

usingchief

Hello CA Folks. For some reason, and just this week, I loose my toolbars randomly. Sometimes there,..then sometimes not. I can close a document, reboot + toolbars return but not in the same location as before. And then after a reboot... do a little drafting... after a bit of time, they disappear again. I've locked my toolbars so they would not move but its not working. I've reset my Preferences to the default toolbar setting but has not helped keep the bars from going away. So,...Any thoughts on a solution ?  Have I done something unknowingly?    T I A. 

System: Mac   running X12 Version

32GB Memory

2.9 GHz core

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 4.57.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 4.59.58 PM.png

• Upvote 1

Actually Chief’s programmers are especially gifted at this toolbar random scrambling phenomenon. 

It’s the only software I’ve ever encountered to exhibit this bizarre and maddeningly frustrating trait. It’s enough to drive me insane sometimes. 

Worse is that even when you call into Chief they all act like they’ve never heard of this, so don’t bother. 
Maybe it’ll be fixed in version X1000000000000...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, Kiwideziner said:

Is this a Mac thing? I dont ever recall seeing the problem in 20 years.

You have done all the things I would have done to get them back.

You might of hit on something.  I have always had issues with my toolbars going nutty.  Not all the time,  but it happens.  It had been maybe 6 months and then it has a happened 3 times in the last 3 weeks.  I simply set it to factory settings and go back to work.  One of the reasons I do not use customized toolbars....  except for putting the LAYER SET drop down in the tool bar.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kiwideziner said:

Great we have established it happens regularly on the mac platform. therefore the 'bug' as that is what it is needs to be lodged in the bug reporting app on the website with all the relevant info. then it can at least be investigated properly. And Maybe fixed at some time.

Literally submitted this on Tuesday and got my answer on Wednesday from chief.

Thank you for contacting Technical Support regarding this toolbar issue.

I’m sorry you are experiencing this frustration with the toolbars. We have had a couple of other customers experience this same issue with the toolbars, but our developers are still trying to reproduce the issue here so that the cause can be identified and addressed. Thank you for submitting the details of your setup as this helps our developers with trying to reproduce the issue.

Although we don’t currently have a solution to prevent this, there are a couple of steps you can take to restore your custom toolbars when it happens. Once you customize your toolbars, you will want to go into your Chief Architect Premier X12 Data folder (normally located in your Documents folder) and make a copy of the Toolbars folder (naming it something like Toolbars Customized). If your toolbars then get smashed you can use that copy of your toolbars folder to restore them.

The first thing to try when the toolbars get smashed it to undock and/or re-dock your side windows such as your Library Browser. Another user that has experienced this issue reported this restoring their toolbars.

If that doesn’t work then, save your work, close Chief and navigate to the your Chief Architect Premier X12 Data folder. Copy your Toolbars Customized folder to the Toolbar folder and relaunch Chief. That should restore your customized toolbars without having to re-customize them.

Once again, I’m sorry you are experiencing this. If it happens again, please note what you were doing in the program, what views were open, the setup of your windows, etc. 

I hope this information helps.”

This is what I heard when I called in at the beginning release of x12.  Not a week after that they released an update amd the problem disappeared till about two months ago.  Now it’s very random sometimes three weeks and doesn’t happen then three times in a week.

• Like 1

Happens to me too.

In fact just happened again tonight. 

After you have your custom toolbars set up, simply go to your Desktop (Finder), to Documents>CA12>Data> and find the MY TOOLBARS file. Make a COPY of it somewhere else, and when the toolbars freak out, quit the program, delete the -now corrupted- MY TOOLBARS file from the CA12 Data folder, and COPY over the saved one.

Works perfectly.

Wow... thanks folks.  What an awesome human resource you guys are.  I had also thought it might have something to do with RAM or Storage as I get really close to using at capacity particularly with this one 15K sq ft office project we are working on.  But then I switch over to something tiny - and poof.  Crazy thing is that I've been using X12 on my MacBookPro since I could download it in Feb and all these months... no issues with the toolbars.  Maybe it is a COVID things - "Computer Operating Very Independently."  

• 1 year later...

I've been experiencing this for the past two years ever since I got my iMac 5K. Before that it never happened to me on my MacBook. It will happen when you least expect it and there's no specific way to recreate it because it's very random. It happens more and more often as time goes by though and it's very annoying. I've locked my toolbars thinking this would stop it but it doesn't. For me they don't completely disappear, instead they all compress into a one icon block on the upper left hand side of the screen. It has one icon only with the little double down arrows on the right of the icon. So what I've figured out is to grab the icon and pull it down to force the toolbar to redock and then they all come back but in jumbled order. Then after that I go into Preferences> Reset Options> Reset Toolbars> OK. VERY IMPORTANT...you have to first drag the icon to force the toolbars to redock. If you skip this first step and try to reset the toolbars this does not work. Because of this I stopped using any customized toolbars a long time ago. This is most definitely a bug and not user error. Hopefully this will be fixed someday :/

5 hours ago, AmbientMediaPics said:

I've been experiencing this for the past two years ever since I got my iMac 5K. Before that it never happened to me on my MacBook. It will happen when you least expect it and there's no specific way to recreate it because it's very random. It happens more and more often as time goes by though and it's very annoying. I've locked my toolbars thinking this would stop it but it doesn't. For me they don't completely disappear, instead they all compress into a one icon block on the upper left hand side of the screen. It has one icon only with the little double down arrows on the right of the icon. So what I've figured out is to grab the icon and pull it down to force the toolbar to redock and then they all come back but in jumbled order. Then after that I go into Preferences> Reset Options> Reset Toolbars> OK. VERY IMPORTANT...you have to first drag the icon to force the toolbars to redock. If you skip this first step and try to reset the toolbars this does not work. Because of this I stopped using any customized toolbars a long time ago. This is most definitely a bug and not user error. Hopefully this will be fixed someday :/

Since you don’t have your signature filled out can’t tell what version you are using but this bug was fixed in x13 for the majority.  It had to do with having your ALDO, LB, & PB undocked on a second monitor with a different resolution from the main monitor.  If you left those docked it generally stopped happening.  They fixed it with the 2nd pre beta release so as long as you have the latest release of x13 this shouldn’t be happening anymore but if it is dock the side windows and call tech support.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/9/2022 at 3:51 PM, Steve-C said:

I got some lame excuse from tech support about it being an iCloud backup issue. Seemed like they were reaching for straws because that doesn't even make sense.

They blamed it on Dropbox, in my case. 
I only use Dropbox for my plan and layout files. 
All Chief data and resource files are on the default local drive as per Chief’s recommended installation. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Steve-C said:

I was really hoping this latest update would have resolved the disappearing toolbars, it did not. Anyone else battling this? It seems to happen 3 or 4 times a week, typically when I change views.

By chance does it happen when you have it being used on multiple monitors?  Does your side panels (ALDO, PB, & LB) disappear as well or rearrange itself?  If so I might have fixed this issue recently.  Part of it was with the toolbar customization with spacing and the rest was "setting" my side windows so they would not rearrange.

When I opened a camera to see a practice kitchen (I'm still trying to absorb Rene"s template and tools) the tool bar went poof.

I guess I will see if I can set up a copy replace script to run that copies my archived toolbar folder to then be pasted over my corrupted one.  Kind of lame but I need to move forward.

CleanShot 2022-08-01 at 15.20.04.png

Yes, have the same issue. Happens randomly but, hmm, I think it only happens on my iMac with an Apple Cinema Display as second monitor.

Generally too busy with my project to get very irritated by a minor glitch. I have always assumed it was just a VRAM issue. I undock and redock the toolbar and it restores. 

Haven't really paid attention to whether it happens on my MacBook Pro also but now that I'm thinking about I don't think it does.

This has been an issues for as long as I've used Chief.  It's unfortunate an frustrating.  It seems to happen for my team more when they have 'custom' buttons or toolbars active.  

I've been able to restore them by importing the tool bar again, although it doesn't always work.

Back with version 10.08 we use to have to make a copy of the toolbars folder, rename the old toolbars folder as something else, then paste the copies version back into the main folder in order to get them to re-establish. (C:\Program Files\Chief Architect\Chief Architect Premier X13) or in your case X12.

Good luck!

image.thumb.png.be21d653092479d59e7c2981780e9182.png

On 11/15/2020 at 1:01 PM, rgardner said:

Although we don’t currently have a solution to prevent this, there are a couple of steps you can take to restore your custom toolbars when it happens. Once you customize your toolbars, you will want to go into your Chief Architect Premier X12 Data folder (normally located in your Documents folder) and make a copy of the Toolbars folder (naming it something like Toolbars Customized). If your toolbars then get smashed you can use that copy of your toolbars folder to restore them.

The first thing to try when the toolbars get smashed it to undock and/or re-dock your side windows such as your Library Browser. Another user that has experienced this issue reported this restoring their toolbars.

If that doesn’t work then, save your work, close Chief and navigate to the your Chief Architect Premier X12 Data folder. Copy your Toolbars Customized folder to the Toolbar folder and relaunch Chief. That should restore your customized toolbars without having to re-customize them.

I lose my toolbar configuration often if I drag the plan to display on my second monitor (which is smaller but the same resolution).

I do the above AND copy my configuration using CA as below. I just make 4 or 5 copies after making any changes to my toolbars (and renaming using the date of modification). Then when my toolbars go wonky, I just select the next configuration. It has always worked for me as long as I have copies remaining.

__CA temp 6.JPG

When this happens I close the plan and quit CA. When I reopen the plan my toolbars at the top are usually unchanged, but the side toolbars get crammed down to the bottom and I have to move them back up. And yes I do use dual 32" monitors, they are identical brand and resolution.