Get Chief Architect as-builts by scanning a space with your iPad or iPhone

BenFromCanvas

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2020 at 8:10 PM, BenFromCanvas said:

Hi,

I'm Ben with Canvas. Canvas is an app that turns your iPad or iPhone into a power tool: you can scan rooms in seconds, entire homes in minutes, and capture every measurement in a space. You immediately get an accurate 3D model of the space on your device that you can refer to anytime, share with others, and get any measurement on demand. Remodelers and architects renovating existing spaces can then use our Scan To CAD service to get design-ready, professional-grade, and editable files in two business days. Our existing customers call this "the easy button" for creating as-builts.
256820143_CanvasoniPhone12Pro-ScanningKitchen.thumb.JPG.fc540bc12b03136ac861364488c6d63d.JPG268521900_CanvasoniPhone12Pro-Screenshot-3Dscan.thumb.jpg.e3aecaae42973028568507c2e301ab16.jpg

I'm posting here because we just launched support for Chief Architect and are eager to see what Chief Architect users are going to do with it! For that reason, I'm offering promo codes for a complimentary Scan To CAD output to Chief Architect, which is a $39 value. You'll receive: 

• 3D .plan file of the room
  • 3D .dwg file
  • 3d. dae file
  • and reprocessing, which colorizes your scan

If you have a LiDAR-equipped iPad Pro (released in March 2020) or a new iPhone 12 Pro or iPhone 12 Pro Max, please comment or send me a direct message with your email address and I'll send you a code. We're hoping you'll share your experience with the forum!

Download Canvas for iPad or Canvas for iPhone.

I would love to get the promo code for the scan to CAD output in Chief Architect. 

Please send to jason@janacekremodeling.com

Thank you

Edited by Jason-Janacek
Email address
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 1:53 PM, TKInteriors said:

Can point cloud data scanned using a DPI 10, D455 (intel realsense) or l515 (intel realsense) be submitted to Canvas?  Post processing is done in DotProducts DOT3D Pro. 

My apologies for not replying sooner, I'm just seeing this now.

Canvas's Scan To CAD service only works on scans captured by the Canvas app itself. Our process relies on data captured with the app, so at this time, we're unable to process any point cloud or 3D mesh data captured with other devices/platforms.

12 hours ago, Jason-Janacek said:

I would love to get the promo code for the scan to CAD output in Chief Architect. 

Please send to jason@janacekremodeling.com

Thank you

Just sent you it via DM.

For anyone else reading this thread, I did want to note that while we're still offering a promo code to try Canvas's Scan To CAD service, we've changed our pricing model since I made my initial post. Instead of charging on a "per scan" basis, we now charge by the square foot - $0.15/square foot (referring to the floor area, not the square footage of scanned walls, etc).

If you're interested in trying Canvas's Scan To CAD service, I'm able to share a code for $30 off your first use, which will cover 200 square feet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 10:29 AM, BenFromCanvas said:

At this point, we don't support devices other than iPads and iPhones, but are working on supporting Android devices.

Once you support Android devices, Canvas is surely going to blow up!

Team Android people like me don't want to buy an iPhone or iPad. However, I'm more than willing to upgrade my phone to a Galaxy S21+ or Ultra just to have Canvas.

Hoping to hear an ETA on an Android debut.

15 hours ago, sr5844wp said:

Team Android people like me don't want to buy an iPhone or iPad. However, I'm more than willing to upgrade my phone to a Galaxy S21+ or Ultra just to have Canvas.

I'm thinking Canvas won't spend much time developing for Android since Samsung isn't pursuing Lidar as of April of this year.

https://www.laserfocusworld.com/blogs/article/14205758/samsung-abandons-lidar-sensors-in-phones

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, sr5844wp said:

1 hour ago, Jason-Janacek said:

I'm thinking Canvas won't spend much time developing for Android since Samsung isn't pursuing Lidar as of April of this year.

https://www.laserfocusworld.com/blogs/article/14205758/samsung-abandons-lidar-sensors-in-phones

Totally understand that! Unfortunately, there are very few Android devices which support LiDAR (the embedded sensor Canvas needs to deliver 99% accuracy), and it increasingly looks like Android manufacturers are moving away from it even as Apple adds it to more devices. We're continuing to monitor the market, but the lack of compatible Android devices means we've had to focus on supporting iOS for the time being.

If you think that Canvas could save you significant time on your as-builts, I'd recommend borrowing an iPad Pro to see if it works for you. Depending on the volume of as-builts you create, a $799 investment in an iPad Pro could pay for itself within a few weeks.

8 hours ago, BenFromCanvas said:

Totally understand that! Unfortunately, there are very few Android devices which support LiDAR (the embedded sensor Canvas needs to deliver 99% accuracy), and it increasingly looks like Android manufacturers are moving away from it even as Apple adds it to more devices. We're continuing to monitor the market, but the lack of compatible Android devices means we've had to focus on supporting iOS for the time being.

If you think that Canvas could save you significant time on your as-builts, I'd recommend borrowing an iPad Pro to see if it works for you. Depending on the volume of as-builts you create, a $799 investment in an iPad Pro could pay for itself within a few weeks.

Even though it's a total bummer for me, your team is making a wise choice by staying focused on iOS.

I purchased an iPhone and am on day 7 of their 14 day return policy, so I'm still deciding on if it's worth the investment.

16 hours ago, sr5844wp said:

Even though it's a total bummer for me, your team is making a wise choice by staying focused on iOS.

I purchased an iPhone and am on day 7 of their 14 day return policy, so I'm still deciding on if it's worth the investment.

If you'd like to try our Scan To CAD service while you've still got the phone, please send me a DM or email me at ben@canvas.io and I can give you a code so you can try it for free!

On 11/14/2020 at 9:49 AM, rgardner said:

Isn't that kind of a high accuracy difference?  Thats almost 5" off in 20'... Which is not unrealistic to have a larger room in a larger home Master bedroom or Great room.  Matterport boasts a max of 1% and that is alot in some cases which is why I require a hover.to scan in addition to a matterport for as-builts if I am doing them for one of my contractors.

Wow Venders are starting to dig up old posts and downvote them???

• 1 year later...
On 8/19/2021 at 8:56 AM, BenFromCanvas said:

If you'd like to try our Scan To CAD service while you've still got the phone, please send me a DM or email me at ben@canvas.io and I can give you a code so you can try it for free!

The cost totally defeats the purpose of doing the scan yourself.

I just did a 2200 sq ft 2 storey asbuilt house measure with chief and a laser measure device right into chief on my laptop in an 1.5hrs.  ( had a bunch of levels, normally would take 1hr)

if it cost me $330 to do this and drive there and back I could just pay a local asbuilt business to go and do the measure and provide a cadd dwg.. for less than $330..

6 minutes ago, dskogg said:

The cost totally defeats the purpose of doing the scan yourself.

I just did a 2200 sq ft 2 storey asbuilt house measure with chief and a laser measure device right into chief on my laptop in an 1.5hrs.  ( had a bunch of levels, normally would take 1hr)

if it cost me $330 to do this and drive there and back I could just pay a local asbuilt business to go and do the measure and provide a cadd dwg.. for less than $330..

Although I am not a huge fan of canvas's output.  I just want to know who you are paying less than $330 to do a full measure and model to?  I pay an engineer $500 if he is doing the engineering portion to do the measure for me (actually its in the engineering price to the client) and I think most services are much higher.

Another way to look at it is,

30 min drive each way

2hrs measure on site

1hr cleanup back in office(very generous)

total 4hrs x &100/hr = $400

full 3D model with all windows and doors.

(no cabs) with roof

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...