FRAMING COVERED DECK

Paul_Eyestone

How do you all design framing for covered deck?

I am so tired of having to manually move every piece of framing when I have a roof over a deck.

Automatic deck framing places the beam and supporting posts inset from the edge of the deck.  Which is great if there is no roof above.

But when a roof is over the deck, the posts supporting the roof need to be at the outside edge of the deck, not inset a foot.  I manually move the beam and posts to the outside edge of the deck, and align the posts with the posts above.  Very tedious. 

IS THERE A BETTER WAY?

54 minutes ago, Paul_Eyestone said:

How do you all design framing for covered deck?

I am so tired of having to manually move every piece of framing when I have a roof over a deck.

Automatic deck framing places the beam and supporting posts inset from the edge of the deck.  Which is great if there is no roof above.

But when a roof is over the deck, the posts supporting the roof need to be at the outside edge of the deck, not inset a foot.  I manually move the beam and posts to the outside edge of the deck, and align the posts with the posts above.  Very tedious. 

IS THERE A BETTER WAY?

I don’t use the beams or posts at all on my decks.  I use the auto deck framing to start then turn it off with the retain framing option selected then I manually place beams and posts per conditions.  That being said if you do a lot of them you can copy the balcony room and set the flooring to planks and the structure to pressure treated to frame it how you want then add your beams and posts as usual.  For a standard basic deck the OOB settings work fine but there are so many variables across the US let alone Europe and Australia that manual adjustments for final product is part of a long cad program.