Why Won't Undo Talke To Me?

ACADuser

Quite annoying, I have 4 or 5 commands to undo as I was trying to move the stair & needed to adjust dimensions.

Point is I am in a section view & need to UNDO 4 or 5 times to undo the stair rotation which took place in the plan view.

Hell i don't remember if it was 4 or 5 undoes that are needed.

Why doesn't the UNDO report the command or operation it is Undoing!?

Why doesn't it undo a change in the view I am in so i can follow along the path that took me here?

How can a mature software like CA not address these items.

OK Rant over. :angry:

My limited experience is that UNDO works on each operation I preformed but only if it changed geometry.

Point is you are flying blind due to the fact the program is not telling you what operation it is undoing.

Hate to keep comparing this to Autocad but it is my Gold Standard.

Autocad undo will tell you what each command it is undoing. Like PAN, MOVE, LINE, etc.

You can even set an Undo Mark when you know you want to undo from this point onward.

Do your changes then UNDO back to that Mark.

Hate to keep comparing this to Autocad but it is my Gold Standard.

Autocad undo will tell you what each command it is undoing. Like PAN, MOVE, LINE, etc.

You can even set an Undo Mark when you know you want to undo from this point onward.

Do your changes then UNDO back to that Mark.

Yep - love that functionality. And AutoCAD isn't the only program I've used that uses more robust, user-friendly Undo operations; I use one at home that gives a pop-up box detailing the operation to Undo when I hover the mouse over the Undo icon.

I'm pretty sure its been asked for before, but this should be posted in the suggestion section. 

Not knowing what we're undoing can be a huge nuisance.  Sometimes its something you can only see by opening a dbx. and sometimes it seems...simply opening a dbx records as an undo so you can never really tell how many undos it takes to get back to point A.  Its really easy to undo too far and end up undoing something you didn't want to undo without noticing it.

I would give this suggestion an enthusiastic thumbs up.  I would probably put this among top 3 in my wish list now that I think about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, 99 is way too much

and impossible to keep track of

and it will bog down your plan immensely

probably to the point it will be difficult to make the next change

10 is probably the largest useful setting

I have mine set to 5

as I do "save as" quite frequently

Lew

Hmmm, 99 is way too much

and impossible to keep track of

and it will bog down your plan immensely

probably to the point it will be difficult to make the next change

Is this true? I've never tested it. Chief saves its undo information in separate .plan and .layout files. I can't open any of them - an "assertion failed" error dbx pops up when I try; but the file sizes are large enough that I suspect they must be near-duplicates of the original file, and this might explain why undo operations take so long. I don't think that the number of undos set in preferences affects working within the plan/layout, though the size of the plan/layout file definitely affects how long it takes to undo an operation.

Robert:

thru the years CA has stated that a large # of undo's can slow down working in the plan

I have always kept my # low

Lew

Ok, thanks - didn't know that. I have mine set at 50. When I think about it, I would never have the patience to sit through 50 Chief undo operations. I'll try bumping down my undos, and auto-saving more often (though I hate sitting around for autosave to finish - on my computer it's a very noticeable hiccup).

The number of undo's saved should have little to do with the speed of Chief. It will add to the number of temporary files on your system, which in the extreme could have an effect on your overall computer speed under certain obscure circumstances. However, if they are getting cleaned up properly this shouldn't be a problem.

Cleaning out your temporary files folder from time to time is a good maintenece thing to do to keep your computer responsive.

The number of undo's saved should have little to do with the speed of Chief. It will add to the number of temporary files on your system, which in the extreme could have an effect on your overall computer speed under certain obscure circumstances. However, if they are getting cleaned up properly this shouldn't be a problem.

Cleaning out your temporary files folder from time to time is a good maintenece thing to do to keep your computer responsive.

Okay. This confirms what I suspected. I believe the SIZE of a plan affects the SIZE of an undo, which affects the speed at which an undo (or series of undos) can be applied. Thanks Doug for the info.