Canvas, Scan to CAD Chief Architect

Decorationarts

Is anyone using Canvas scan to CAD? 

I am using it for all my as-builts in the field up in the Gold Country. 

I the new Ipad Pro 12.9 fourth-gen with the new LIDAR camera with the Canvas app. 

you can find it here:

https://support.canvas.io/article/591-what-is-canvas-business

What file formats and programs does Scan To CAD export?

The Short Answer

Scan To CAD is available in four packages:  2D Floor Plan ($15 per scan, and includes a 2D .pdf, 2D .dwg, and 2D .skp), SketchUp ($29 per scan, and includes a 3D.skp, 3D .dwg, and 3D .dae file), Revit ($39 per scan, and includes a 3D .rvt, 3D .dwg, and 3D .ifc file), and Chief Architect ($39 per scan, and includes a 3D .plan, 3D .dwg, and 3D .dae file).

You can download our sample data package here to experiment with real, Canvas-generated CAD models for yourself!

Attached is the original source file from Canvas. I scanned one day and got it the next. Also some screenshots. 

Nov 9, 2020 at 3-16-56 PM.plan

Screenshot 11-11b.jpg

Canvas.JPG

Screentshot 11-11.jpg

Great to know that Canvas is being used up in Gold Country. I'm one of the product leaders for Canvas that was involved in rolling out Chief Architect support, and I've spent a ton of time around Murphys, Grass Valley, Big Trees, etc. Next time I'm up there I'll wonder which homes you used us on :)

We'll be upgrading our sample data package with a lot more Chief Architect examples soon, so in the meantime if anyone wants to see more sample files, just shoot us an email at support@canvas.io. Chief Architect is a recent addition for us so I'll be monitoring this forum post extra closely for any feedback as well! 

I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with Chief models produced from Canvas scans. Have you found that the Chief models produced from Canvas scans are accurate enough to obtain as-built measurements? Are you using LiDAR-based scans (available with the newest iPhone)? If so, do you notice an improvement in accuracy? How could these Chief models be improved to better meet your needs? 

Hi Chris, 

I just started using this. 

I have several projects in the works, 

One is a Matterport Scan of an interior manually done to Chief with the exterior scanned in Hover 3D. 

As soon as I receive the deliverable from Canvas comes in, I'll be able to compare and see how the accuracy is. 

I am sure the folks over at Canvas are watching :-)

Hi All,

I've got the new iPad Pro, and took my first CANVAS scan last night.

Eager to see what the as-built of my messy family room, including the teen on the sofa, looks like.

Also, I do a  lot with window treatments, and will be interested in seeing how accurate the scan is, and if I can utilize this tool for shades and draperies.

Although, the per scan price can get spendy, if I am doing windows in multiple rooms. So, there's that.

Robin

• Like 1

@RobinDalyColor great to hear you're getting in there and can't wait to hear what you think!

If you're only focused on windows, you might actually be fine just pulling quick measurements in the 3D Web Viewer. Not in my interest to tell you how you can avoid paying for Scan To CAD ;) - but the ROI for Scan To CAD is usually best when you care about the whole room or home vs. a particular element. Plus, the 3D Web Viewer is more precise with a mouse on a computer vs. the iPad. Of course, that does require extra work (vs. the "easy button" that Scan To CAD provides for Chief), but I did want to highlight the option, as it's cheap (it comes with a Scan To CAD order, but you can get it standalone for $3 per scan, or $299 unlimited with Canvas Business). Just PM me if you have any questions about it. 

Here's an example of a scan from the new iPhone 12 Pro which you can try to measure: https://canvas.io/viewer/9WeH-j0O. It's a bit ahead of what you see on the iPad today in terms of visual quality (as it came out of a big R&D sprint we did recently), but it's what's coming to both apps (iPhone and iPad) soon. 

• Upvote 1

CANVAS - I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH GREAT THINGS ABOUT THIS PRODUCT - huge projects or small it makes as-builts a breeze and remodel projects simple to provide accurate plan sets  i have been with CHIEF since X-2 i can tell you this is almost as exciting as when chief let me beta test chief for mac - a must for architects and  all design professionals 

super simple ! 

MODERN MOUNTAIN .png

ROBERTSON .png

• Upvote 2

We've been using Canvas here in Oakland, California for years now. My firm typically used their Revit/Scan to CAD capabilities, as our primary software was Revit and AutoCAD. As we transitioned over to Chief Architect last year, it became a bit of a nuisance to import the CAD model into Chief, and then trace all of the walls, or use the CAD-to-Walls feature.

To say we were excited to see Chief Architect offered as 3D model option on Canvas is an understatement. The amount of time spent building out as-built models will now be a thing of the past. I also love how the electrical and HVAC elements are identified in the models as well. We've scanned three projects so far, and it has been as accurate/successful as it was in Revit.

As our scanning tools, we have an iPhone11 and a second generation iPad Pro (both work well for our scans so far, and do not need the additional scanner attachment), and a first generation iPad Pro with scanner attachment. Canvas is a great time and financial investment for those looking for more efficiency and accuracy in their workflow. 

Here is one of our first scans/test using Canvas' new feature, a quick bedroom:

Global_ Home.plan

• Upvote 2

We just started using Canvas for initial site measurements on remodels. Have been using chief for years. The 1% margin in measurement error is workable for most areas but we are still having to manually confirm critical measurements. This technology has a great deal of potential moving forward though. Excited to see where it goes. Hopeful this will be a significant time saver. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have had an iPad with scanner from Canvas for a while.  I have a renewed interest with the Chief export.  Not sure about how we are ultimately going to bring this into our work flow.  Using iPhone 12 pro, measurements seem off more than i feel comfortable with.  I haven't figured out if it is due to measuring best practices or product limitation.  I would like to use the web based scan link with client job site reviews as well as builder / designer conversation.  Curious if I could make notations on this drawing.  

Still trying to figure it out.  Excited about getting Cheif scans.  Hope to create a work flow around Canvas.

• Like 1

@CapozziDG great to see your name here :) - and that we've renewed your interest by supporting Chief Architect! Since I am sure many customers are wondering about accuracy, I thought I'd leave this here: 

https://support.canvas.io/article/5-what-kind-of-accuracy-can-i-expect-from-canvas

If you're ever seeing measurements outside that 1-2% range, just let us know and we'd be happy to take a look at those orders. And of course, if you have any dimensions of your own you'd like us to match in a particular order, you can always do so: https://support.canvas.io/article/198-how-to-submit-manual-dimensions-to-canvas. 

• 1 month later...

Very interested in Canvas and am looking forward to Dan Baumann's presentation on this today.  One question - how well does it work for exterior elevations? ...and, more particularly, how are those integrated with the interior scans that get stitched together to create a whole house model?  Any one doing this (yet)?

Looking forward to having you on Dan's presentation! For anyone interested in learning more about the workflow for Canvas + Chief Architect, I highly recommend joining The Designers Show today: https://www.chiefexpertsacademy.com/designers-show-rsvp

To answer your question, Canvas isn't made for exteriors, though often you can get away with it. Specifically, the underlying sensing of Apple LiDAR (and any infrared light-based sensing system) can struggle in bright sunlight, so you'd want to use it on an overcast day, dusk when the sun is low, or under some kind of covering. Further, the range is 5m, which means that getting second stories and roofs are going to be a lot more challenging. So, it's doable in many circumstances, but more caveats and limitations, so we focus our positioning on interiors. You may also want to check out things like DroneDeploy for exteriors, since that's a much better way to capture things like roofs. 

If you can get good scans, from a Scan To CAD perspective, we can definitely process them, and we can align them to your interior scans based on common points, but getting some overlapping data is usually a good idea (e.g., scanning through the front door). This also means we can get more precise wall thickness, which otherwise has to be assumed via construction standards.

• Upvote 1