Spiral Stair Design

raltd9245

I asked this question last week without an answer. Why doesn't Chief have a spiral Stair designer similar to the one we have for straight stairs. 

The Lib symbol is totally lacking. I'm at a loss as to why more users aren't unhappy with the present situation. Am I just the crazy old man of the group?

I do use a lot of spiral stairs in y residential design and would very much like to have the ability to design them to my liking. All input by the group will be greatly

appreciated.

Thanks Ron

• Upvote 1

Great, I do not seem to have that kind of time. It burns me up that Chief does colored clothes hangers but can get around to supplying us with the proper tools. Making your own model is great but how easy is it to adapt to change in floor heights and size of stair.

• Like 1

I can get close pretty quickly - but probably no banana.

The glass clamps and some other details would take a bit longer - but mostly doable.

It may also be difficult to get the exact newel spacing correct and I had trouble wrapping the treads around the pole.

I have to make the point though that any spiral tool that Chief may develop would never be able to include every custom type of spiral stair - there are just too many variables and options, too many details. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 2.40.04 pm.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Looks good to me Glenn. I don't know 

about the others but I'll give ya a +1 for

the effort.

What really caught my eye however was

the "close but no banana" reference. Is

that a Southern Hemisphere thing? Maybe

with smoking so out of favor the trusty old

"close but no cigar" in no longer acceptable.

• Like 1

Thanks Glen,

I struggled with CA and could not get what you did.  Any chance you can either do a quick video of the steps you took? Or at least a description? Maybe a Zoom call.

I could not get a smooth rail, nor glass.

I've got some banana's :D

I had to grab a model off of the sketchup warehouse to do this, but it is limited to the model created.

spiralStair3d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jtcapa1 said:

That would be a great tutorial. Thanks for your thoughts

Thanks Glen,

I struggled with CA and could not get what you did.  Any chance you can either do a quick video of the steps you took? Or at least a description? Maybe a Zoom call.

I could not get a smooth rail, nor glass.

I've got some banana's :D

I had to grab a model off of the sketchup warehouse to do this, but it is limited to the model created.

spiralStair3d.jpg

On 11/13/2020 at 8:41 AM, jtcapa1 said:

Any chance you can either do a quick video of the steps you took?

Glenn has an old Video on Jing about spiral staircases but I am not sure if he is still using the same methods now as the video was posted 4-5 yrs ago it appears........I'll let him repost the link as Flashplayer and Jing have been superseded - I get an error clicking on the old link I have.

@glennw

On 11/13/2020 at 9:34 AM, raltd9245 said:

or better yet the brains at Chief acknowledge a gap in their stair tools and give us a spiral stair app. PERIOD!!!!!!

No your not the crazy old man haha!  A lot of us have been complaining about the stair tool for over a decade.  In my opinion, its one of the oldest most outdated tools still on chief.  Im not sure why many other things have been updated yet stairs seems to be the old antique they like to leave on the shelf as is.  I agree with all your complaints and opinions on it.  Lets hope X13 finally gets an overhaul on the stair tool!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, jtcapa1 said:

With Glenn's help I created a video tutorial on how to do a spiral stair, or at least the one I'm showing.

Due to size limits here on chieftalk, I'll host this on my drop box account so this link should get you to the video

How to draw a spiral stair

Thanks for doing that John,  I'll definitely take a look.

Mick.

Just now, solver said:

Wonder if you could draw your own newel and block with the tread so they are correctly positioned as the treads are moved up and around?

Sure. I've played with that and you can if you want to spend more time. It is a fun exercise in geometry to get everything lined up.

On 11/12/2020 at 8:40 PM, glennw said:

I can get close pretty quickly - but probably no banana.

The glass clamps and some other details would take a bit longer - but mostly doable.

It may also be difficult to get the exact newel spacing correct and I had trouble wrapping the treads around the pole.

I have to make the point though that any spiral tool that Chief may develop would never be able to include every custom type of spiral stair - there are just too many variables and options, too many details. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 2.40.04 pm.jpg

Great Job

That is why we come here to pick the brains of all these experts that have been making CA do what it was never designed to do, since it was first created.

I love and hate 3d CAD; in that I love the visual end results but hate the amount of time I spend monkeying around with it. Or as Glenn might say:

"it was a dog's guts of a problem, brought in by a chap that's Few roos loose in the top paddock, but with a little encouragement and a zoom lesson, he'd have a go, ya mug, who in the end was a fair dinkem Shark biscuit, and went straight to the pool room"

So in the end Glenn helped me suss it out, and he's a top bloke in my book. 

:-) 

• Like 1