pan while "in" a command

madcowscarnival

I really don't know how to frame this question or surely the search function would have worked.  I often have to trace imported CAD lines with, say a wall command.  I zoom in to accurately start my line, then while dragging the wall, I can zoom in and out with the scroll wheel.  However, how do I pan when in this situation?  I can zoom out, then move the position of my mouse pointer to start zooming back in to where I want to place the end point of the wall, but this is cumbersome (scroll wheel).  If I use the button function of the scroll wheel it just cancels the command rather than pausing and allowing me to pan around the screen.

Is there some button or combination that would allow me to pan around the drawing with an active command?  I've tried what I thought might be common ones, but am not having any luck guessing or searching.

This is another reason why 3D mice are so useful as you can just pan and zoom as required with the other hand.

Another lesser known benefit is even when in modal dialog boxes the currently active 2D or 3D plan window can still be moved around using a 3D mouse which can be useful if you forget to check something that's not quite in view before opening the dialog.

• Upvote 1

I refer to that as click-release-click vs. click-drag-release.  The method I use to force the behavior in Chief is:

1.  Click and drag to start operation

2.  Shift+Z (Zoom) during drag

3.  Press either Center Mouse Wheel (Pan) or optionally the Escape key

4.  Pan and zoom as desired (NOTE: If you’re panning anyway, which you likely are if you’re employing the trick, then the step above isn't even necessary)

5.  Click again to finish

You can customize your hotkeys to make the operation pretty easy but for me, the OOB ones actually work just fine. 

18 hours ago, Smn842 said:

This is another reason why 3D mice are so useful as you can just pan and zoom as required with the other hand.

Another lesser known benefit is even when in modal dialog boxes the currently active 2D or 3D plan window can still be moved around using a 3D mouse which can be useful if you forget to check something that's not quite in view before opening the dialog.

I concur with this.  Once you go 3D mouse, there’s no going back.

Also like to add that the 3D mouse works in lots of other apps ie. Google Earth Pro, browsers, etc.  you can use it to scroll up and down while reading this forum....