Guest Heidi

Perspective Crop Mode in X12

Guest Heidi

I recently upgraded from X10 to X12 and when I do exterior 3D views, Perspective Full Overview, the perspective crop mode icon is gone.  I did search in the help and there a window was mentioned, window tab then select "full window" (F6), but this doesn't fix the issue.  When you zoom in the view becomes distorted.  The Help mentions the crop mode can be migrated with legacy toolbars and hotkeys, but I am not familiar with what that means.  Does anyone have any information on this?

They created a new icon (Tool Tip is "Camera Veiw Options"), the icon looks like a house with a wrench. I got tripped up the same way you did. Each new version tends to contain "improvements" of this kind.

DJP

camera view options.PNG

Guest Heidi

I have gone in to that, but the "perspective crop mode" option is gone.  Is there another selection in that drop menu to click?  I have tried them all and none of them seem to work.

The tool is still there.  You just have to add it to your toolbar or assign a hotkey via Tools>Toolbars and Hotkeys

• Upvote 1

That tool doesn't seem to work.  Typically I might want to "crop" a perspective view so I can create a "CAD Detail from View".  Unfortunately this just doesn't work and you have to use the "Trim" tool to get rid of extra lines.

• Upvote 1

I think there is a bit of confusion here.

Perspective crop mode just zooms (or pans) the "picture" of the 3D view - the camera actually remains in the same place and doesn't move at all.

A normal zoom (no Perspective Crop Mode) actually moves the camera when zooming.

i believe the tool was "deprecated" because it caused too much confusion - and maybe too much support?.

ie, if you send a view to layout that was generated using Perspective Crop Mode.

The image in Layout could be different than the original view because the image sent to layout is the actual camera view - not the view you see on screen. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, glennw said:

I think there is a bit of confusion here.

Perspective crop mode just zooms (or pans) the "picture" of the 3D view - the camera actually remains in the same place and doesn't move at all. 

A normal zoom (no Perspective Crop Mode) actually moves the camera when zooming.

i believe the tool was "deprecated" because it caused too much confusion - and maybe too much support?.

ie, if you send a view to layout that was generated using Perspective Crop Mode.

The image in Layout could be different than the original view because the image sent to layout is the actual camera view - not the view you see on screen. 

I think your assessment is correct.  I personally think its a great tool and use it all the time, but it's definitely a potentially problematic tool if you don;t understand it or try to use it without knowing what its for.  To add a little confusion to your clarification of the confusion though:  As you say, the camera is not actually moved in and out during zooming operations and it is not moved side to side during panning operations.  It does however orbit and pivot. 

Also, just a little tip...even though a camera may be in Perspective Crop Mode, we CAN actually move it in/out and side to side by manually repositioning the camera and/or focal point in plan view, by changing the camera position in the dialog box, or by using the Focus on Selected in 3D.