Render Full Overview from outer space

Roader

Doing a Render Full Overview results in a view from very far away.  I have to go into Camera Orbit Tools and click on Move Camera In about 70 times to get the terrain perimeter to fill the screen.  Terrain elevation lines set to absolute elevations, about a mile high.  Should they be set to relative values?

CA 10.04a Full Version
Pentium Dual Core 3.2Ghz
AMD Radeon HD7000 1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium

RenderFull_Small.JPG

RenderFull_Big.JPG

You likely have a rogue item that has drifted away from your build location that throws off the camera setup.  Post your plan file and one of the experts may be able to help you sort it out.  Or go to an all on layerset in plan view and use CTRL + A to select everything and then look for something out of place at the extents of the selection box.

20 minutes ago, dshall said:

Interesting,  I wonder if that should work or not.....  CA,  do you have an opinion here?

It should and currently DOES work just fine.  I think the OP's problems are related they're way back on version 10.04a which likely has all sorts of problems that have since been addressed.

1 hour ago, Roader said:

Doing a Render Full Overview results in a view from very far away.  I have to go into Camera Orbit Tools and click on Move Camera In about 70 times to get the terrain perimeter to fill the screen.  Terrain elevation lines set to absolute elevations, about a mile high.  Should they be set to relative values?

RenderFull_Big.JPG

This is an old Issue with the Overview Camera ..... IF ....  you don't have a building in the Plan yet ( none in PIC) , the Overview Camera has nothing to Reference for it's Height above etc. and seems to get "lost", I used to add a small Shed 10'x10' for eg.  to the Plan 1st to help with this or use the Full Camera not the Overview Camera.

However , it has been a long time since 10.04 was in use , so hopefully it isn't something related to that instead.

M.

3 hours ago, solver said:

Have you tried a new plan with terrain elevations set normally?

I tried taking 5300' off of each elevation line, changing them to 13'–18' range.  No luck.

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It should and currently DOES work just fine.  I think the OP's problems are related they're way back on version 10.04a which likely has all sorts of problems that have since been addressed.

Thank you.  I'll buy new software.

5 hours ago, Roader said:

II hate to waste someone's time with a stupid question, but here's the plan.

I'll have to read up on layersets and try to do as you suggest.  I did look in a material list and it's empty.

Took a quick look at your plan file with X7 and had forgotten that we did not have ALDO until that version but could not find a lost rogue object so likely something to do with what @Kbird1 mentioned.  Funny though that the software does still seem to think there is a problem even though it would not reproduce the space view when opening an overview camera.  Here is the warning I got....

image.thumb.png.997dc4eafbb18dfcb4bba29daea50a53.png

5 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Took a quick look at your plan file with X7 and had forgotten that we did not have ALDO until that version but could not find a lost rogue object so likely something to do with what @Kbird1 mentioned.  Funny though that the software does still seem to think there is a problem even though it would not reproduce the space view when opening an overview camera.  Here is the warning I got....

image.thumb.png.997dc4eafbb18dfcb4bba29daea50a53.png

I got the same error in x7 but strangely the Fill Window Icon makes it zoom right in on the Plan as Drawn and it is almost sitting on 0,0 too, so that isn't the Issue either.

If the Drawing was imported from a DWG/DXF rather than drawn in Chief , that may possibly be the issue as noted in this KB article :

Troubleshooting Origin Error Messages (chiefarchitect.com)

I also tried it in Home Designer Pro 2021 and it opened just fine , you could download a Trial Version and try it yourself before purchasing, you can't save files with the Trial though.

M.