solver

Revolving A Face and Drawing Setup - Part 2

Covers setup of plan and elevation views for revolving a face.

Shows where polyline solids draw in relation to the elevation camera.

Watch On YouTube: http://youtu.be/Qh-d-RXVncg?hd=1

Eric,

Would't it be much easier to draw a Face and revolve that - instead of the convoluted process you went through?

Am I missing something?

9 hours ago, glennw said:

Am I missing something?

Nope. I covered using a face in part 1. Michael had mentioned using a Polyline Solid, 0" thick and then removing a face from it. This works for me sometimes as I'm probably doing something out of order. I've also experienced odd things when reshaping a face, specifically when changing line to arc, again, probably due to me and not the program.

This also shows, although I did not mention it, that a face can be made from any part of a shape that is a solid by exploding the solid.

On 11/8/2020 at 8:12 AM, solver said:

Michael had mentioned using a Polyline Solid, 0" thick and then removing a face from it

Correct.  Faces have a much more limited subset of capabilities when it comes to simply drawing a profile.  It is FAR more efficient to draw/trace using a standard polyline object and the related capabilities (trim extend, join, union, subtraction, etc.) than it using the Face tool, particularly if the geometry already exists in the plan in polyline form.  Setting the polyline to zero inches thick, exploding the shape, and deleting the extra face literally takes a matter of seconds. 

Also, just a side note, but using 0,0 is really not necessary.  I would encourage people to just get comfortable with finding the appropriate point around which they want to revolve.  It's really not very difficult especially if you familiarize yourself with the Move Point tool (double click on a Temporary Point) and Transform/Replicate>Move>Absolute Location, both of which can simply be used to pull information from.