Creating Horizontal Eaves For Patio/porch Areas

ARBDESIGN

Can anybody explain to me how to create flat horizontal eaves to patio/porch areas. I have the tick on the "flat under eave sub fascia" under build roof options. This has created flat eaves to the perimeter of house but not the porch areas. I used roofbase polylines and dragged roof out to make a porch area. Attached is a screen shot of the front porch. Thank you

post-2303-0-64872800-1416207618_thumb.jpg

Eaves (soffits) are controlled in the build roof dialogue box. There is a check box for boxed eaves to flatten them out. As far as a porch roof goes that depends on whether it has it's own roof or if the roof starts on a beam and then continues over the main house. Need more info/detail for that.

How about putting info into your profile with your name and version you are using?

Your image shows that you have turned on "Boxed Eaves" but that is just an attribute of the eaves of roof planes.

If you also waht your porch roof to be at the same level as the apparent roof soffit-eaves then you must set the "Ceilng Height" of the porch to match that apparent eave height because they are controlled by two different settings (one in the build roof  or roof plane dialogs and the other in the Room Specification Dialog of the porch.

DJP

I have built the porch as a "slab". It is not classed as a room therefore cant change or add ceiling to match eave height. If I was to change the slab to a porch would this be done using the deck with no rail tool. If so it creates invisible walls, I don't need invisible walls as they want to marry into the other walls. I only need a single line from external corner of house and external of brickwork to represent a slab that will be tiled but want to show porch to have an eave.

I have built the porch as a "slab". It is not classed as a room therefore cant change or add ceiling to match eave height. If I was to change the slab to a porch would this be done using the deck with no rail tool. If so it creates invisible walls, I don't need invisible walls as they want to marry into the other walls. I only need a single line from external corner of house and external of brickwork to represent a slab that will be tiled but want to show porch to have an eave.

There are several approaches you could use. If you used a slab for the floor and you want a ceiling, then go ahead and place invisible walls (after the roof is on) and adjust the ceiling height. Now lower the floor so that you see your slab. Turn off invisible walls or put those invisible walls on a new layer to turn them off. For no room definition, either use a ceiling plane or slab for the ceiling.

What is the correct setting for flat eaves around the entire house? Does the setting need to be changed before I "build roof". Should the height of the eave be the measurement at the bottom of the fascia, if so which is this setting. I'm still having trouble trying to get the porch eave to look correct and be the same flat height as the eaves going around entire house. Does anyone know of any online videos on this subject. Really appreciate your help guys.

"Boxed Eave" in the Options Tab of the Roof DBX will get you the flat eave , the height is determined by the size of the sub-facsia  eg 2x4.2x6 etc. , not 100% sure if a rebuild is needed or it will auto generate anyway if this setting changes.

If you designate the front entry as a Porch or Slab it should get a ceiling and Roof automatically ,but depending on how drawn you may need invisible walls to get the room definition , otherwise you would/could use a manual ceiling plane ,soffit /slab etc.

M.

• Upvote 1