Change extruded moulding profile to a solid shape?

Lakeside-E

5 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I just end up making these types of “moldings” out of solids.  

It's not an easy task when you need to do this... If I could get it to a solid then I could cut the flats and be done, guess I'm headed to 3D warehouse to see what I can see. Thanks anyway

Post Profile.png

11 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

That’s actually a pretty easy one. Just create that using a zero thickness polyline solid, explode, delete the unnecessary face, select the remaining face, and use the Revolve tool.

I've made a molding profile from the cross section and extruded it to my process 1 shape. The top and bottom are now oversized cylinders that need to be trimmed square. Doing it this way I only had to CAD draw my profile and save it as a molding profile then extrude it. I don't see how doing this from a solid would be easier to get to this point, just that it would be in the correct form to finish the next step. Can you help me understand your workflow? 

Post Profile.png

18 minutes ago, Lakeside-E said:

I don't see how doing this from a solid would be easier to get to this point, just that it would be in the correct form to finish the next step.

This^^^^

...although I would probably make the box first and then a larger subtraction to act like a lathe.  

3 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This^^^^

...although I would probably make the box first and then a larger subtraction to act like a lathe.  

I have done this method for making columns before to some extent and I understand the profile concept of a lathe so I am following you there, but how do I make my solid subtraction section cylindrical so that I could create the round profile I need in the center? Is there a tool that can extrude a solid the same way creating a molding will extrude a saved molding profile?

5 minutes ago, Lakeside-E said:

I have done this method for making columns before to some extent and I understand the profile concept of a lathe so I am following you there, but how do I make my solid subtraction section cylindrical so that I could create the round profile I need in the center? Is there a tool that can extrude a solid the same way creating a molding will extrude a saved molding profile?

Read my second post again.  

19 minutes ago, Lakeside-E said:

...Is there a tool that can extrude a solid the same way creating a molding will extrude a saved molding profile?

13 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Read my second post again.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I just end up making these types of “moldings” out of solids.  

Still not connecting your dots

59 minutes ago, Lakeside-E said:

Still not connecting your dots

Reading through...

I would probably make the box first and then a larger subtraction to act like a lathe

create that using a zero thickness polyline solid...

pic1.thumb.png.cce314baed8775419a9557ba89b268b8.png

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

...explode, delete the unnecessary face, select the remaining face...

pic2.thumb.png.4c8aa02c47cf28539ffbf77a075fa7d9.png

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

...and use the Revolve tool.

pic3.thumb.png.753539f518752b08906dc5674b1d8714.png

Then of course I assumed you knew how to carry out the Subtraction...

pic4.thumb.png.8ef9e694050c99978bfa3504d429af64.png

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It’s been repeated several times already.  The REVOLVE tool.  

This was my misunderstanding... I assumed the revolve tool simply rotated a solid but apparently it does not act as I expected... Now to get a handle on the settings. Thanks for your help pointing me in the right direction