Hard drive defect cause this?

GeneDavis

I paid a shop $90 to remove virus and malware because I was getting such slow loads and view changes.  This, the day before leaving for the winter home 1500 miles south.

No improvement at all, in fact worse, as my preferred browser Chrome won't work, and Win 10 cannot perform updates (which it couldn't before either.)

So a shop here says the hard drive is faulty, and I'll take his advice and have him do a new one, solid state.

Is the hard drive working each tome you do a view change?  Each time you upen an object for spec?

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

I paid a shop $90 to remove virus and malware because I was getting such slow loads and view changes.  This, the day before leaving for the winter home 1500 miles south.

No improvement at all, in fact worse, as my preferred browser Chrome won't work, and Win 10 cannot perform updates (which it couldn't before either.)

So a shop here says the hard drive is faulty, and I'll take his advice and have him do a new one, solid state.

Is the hard drive working each tome you do a view change?  Each time you upen an object for spec?

Your computer is getting a bit long in the tooth if your sig. is still correct?  especially for X12 as it appears you only have a GTX560M Chip and 3GB VRam ( below min. requirements.)

so it maybe time to spend money on a new system instead especially with X13 new requirements (RTX card), especially if you'd like to use the new RTRT.

But yes Chief uses the HDD/SDD anytime you do something in Chief for both the Temp and Undo folders , so you may see some improvement with an SSD if you currently have a HDD in the Laptop........ however don't expect miracles  as HDD don't usually suffer from Slowness....they either work or are dead , so I'm guess the Repair shop is suggesting the SDD may help with speed over a HDD and it should, but a Clean install of Win10 2004 may also be in Order and then reinstall Chief.  The old HDD could go into an Ext. Enclosure and still accessed or/and used as a backup device too.

M.

• Like 1