Mark22

Apple Silicon / macOS 11 Big Sur

9 minutes ago, Steve-C said:

I’m using Big Sur, have not had any issues 

Thanks Steve,  from what I have read,  it is a big change.

Was it change that you can now not live without?

Top 2 features for you?

27 minutes ago, dshall said:

Thanks Steve,  from what I have read,  it is a big change.

Was it change that you can now not live without?

Top 2 features for you?

Everything just looks a lot different, email, finder, app icons etc. Function wise not a lot of difference. It's clear they are trying to unify the visual experience between IOS and Mac. Some things I like, some things will take some getting used to, nothing really blows me away. I think in the coming years they will begin to blur the lines between the 2 operating systems, especially considering the architecture of their new chipset. Should be interesting to watch.

I think security is the big feature but that's pretty much under the hood and out of sight.

Other than that I don't notice any noticeable improvements in performance.

Chief works as before.

I hate getting used to all the new UI changes.  I didn't have a problem with what was there before.

If anything, I'm starting to question why the hell am I on a Mac anymore in this day and age of gmail, dropbox and online apps.

I don't think there's any advantage anymore and as far as X13 it seems I'll be missing out on some new features.

Starting to get that left out feeling of the 90's when so little was available for Mac and all the good stuff was only designed for Windows.

Seriously thinking of switching again. It's actually easier this time around.

The more the MasOs changes the more it starts looking like my iPad.  I don't think I want that.

1 hour ago, Michael_Gia said:

I think security is the big feature but that's pretty much under the hood and out of sight.

Other than that I don't notice any noticeable improvements in performance.

Chief works as before.

I hate getting used to all the new UI changes.  I didn't have a problem with what was there before.

If anything, I'm starting to question why the hell am I on a Mac anymore in this day and age of gmail, dropbox and online apps.

I don't think there's any advantage anymore and as far as X13 it seems I'll be missing out on some new features.

Starting to get that left out feeling of the 90's when so little was available for Mac and all the good stuff was only designed for Windows.

Seriously thinking of switching again. It's actually easier this time around.

The more the MasOs changes the more it starts looking like my iPad.  I don't think I want that.

You mention security in your first sentence. Apple is serious about security...to the point of crazy at times (seems to be at least). This is a really good thing...and something that keeps me using Apple products. I like knowing that all their products are "secure". 

On the other end of the spectrum is Google. Google cannot spell security...and they have no plans for implementing it anytime soon. They sell your profile all day everyday to the highest bidder. Every click is watched and sold. With Google...YOU are the product. Dropbox isn't google...but Dropbox isn't Apple either. Dropbox (and other like services) will let affiliates and others have access to your data. It's buried in the contractual fine print. We all have become immune to loaning our online profiles to these companies so we can get "cheap" services...like google drive and dropbox. Both are excellent...but, security is not their top priority. I use google drive all the time...so, I've gotten comfortable with google stealing and selling my profile. It's just the world we live in right?  

As far as the Apple UI changes...yea, I could do with less of this, but in time I bet you won't even remember what you used to do. Right now I think Apple is trying to make it so iOS apps work on an iMac just like they do on an iPad/iPhone. They are slowly but surely moving us toward a seamless operating system across all platforms. Not sure if this is good or bad...time will tell.

As fas as X13 goes...the only feature the Mac won't get is "real time ray tracing". You can still ray trace though...just not in real time. This isn't something I'm concerned with right now...so, it's not a big deal to me. Other than that...the Mac and PC will have all the same Chief tools and functionality.  

I just got a Mac mini M1 for Christmas but have been to chicken to try Chief on it.  I need to finish a few jobs first. 

I do think it would be short sided not to support the new M1 chips.

I am also very curious about the M1 Mac Mini. Please report your experience ToolBox!