How Many Users Ray Trace With Chief?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of your work includes RayTracing

• 0 - 10%
    • 11 - 25%
    • 26 - 50%
    • 51 - 75%
    • 76 - 100%

Never set up a poll so please excuse any bonehead parts or pieces. The reason for the poll is that I find I almost never Ray Trace any more. Had a machine that was previously set up for Ray Tracing back in the day but find I use walk throughs and standard view for almost all of my presentations. You?

Almost all standard views. I bought my current machine with PBR in mind, but I just can't justify spending the time to get good at it. Most of my clients will not pay for PBR's or RT's so I primarily use standard. That being said, the quality of standard views has certainly improved in recent years as well as the quality of CA materials available (I'm sure because of PBR and RT improvements).

Just now, Michael_Gia said:

Can’t wait for that line drawing over standard view in X13. 

Looks real crisp and clean. 

Lets face it, unless your RayTrace or PBR is at the level of fooling people into thinking it’s a photograph, then it’s just going to look cheesy. 

...and quicker Water Color with lines too....

• Upvote 1

Since CA introduced PBR'ing I never use Ray Trace. Can produce better results in PBR without the wait and the advantage that I can work live within a PBR window. Now that CA has added Ray Tracing to their PBR it will be interesting to see the impact. To be honest though, from the recent webinar on this I was not overly impressed.

Perhaps the pole should be 'how many would ray trace with Chief if it was way faster'?

Even though I upgrade PC's regularly and try to get the best balance of overclocked core speed vs number of cores, ray trace has not appealed since we've had PBR.  As I use a 3D mouse the rendering on the new PBR + Ray trace on X13 didn't look that good to me as I move a lot in 3D views.

I am more interested in the consistent lighting model mentioned and hope that will fix the issues of materials looking so different in standard, pbr and ray trace modes as well as the bleed of colours from backdrops and other areas radically changing the internal views.

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

100%. Every plan set.

Pretty pictures are not required but neither is a fine meal when a baloney sandwich will sustain life.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think this looks cheesy. And I don't think this is possible with PBR and no retouching in other software.

1740959583_CoverPicFINAL.thumb.jpg.93ba83e4de792bfbcdab8281471806c8.jpg

Nice...