x12 plan changing to x10 when sent to flash drive

RJBPILOT

I can not find this topic on search.  I have the latest X12 plans changing to X10 when I send them to a flash drive or if I email the plan to my laptop which is also running the latest X12.  Anyone else experience this? What is going on?  

26 minutes ago, RJBPILOT said:

I can not find this topic on search.  I have the latest X12 plans changing to X10 when I send them to a flash drive or if I email the plan to my laptop which is also running the latest X12.  Anyone else experience this? What is going on?  

Hello, 

Do you happen to have X10 installed on the machine you're sending the plans to? There is a likely chance that the *.plan and *.layout file extensions are associated with that older X10 version instead of X12. You might try following the steps in this article to resolve the problem: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01131/associating-plan-layout-and-library-files-with-the-latest-version-of-chief-architect-or-home-designer.html

• Upvote 1

Ahh because it says it right on the files!   These were X12 plan files before I sent them to this flash drive, which I opened on my laptop here.  I had this happen before when I sent the plans via email to my laptop.  They are sent as X12 and arrive as X10 files!  Crazy! and frustrating.  My laptop has the same X12 version.

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 6.02.12 PM.png

Thank you,  I understand the information you're sharing,  but the strange thing is when I open the flash drive and just LOOK at the files without trying to open them, they show as X10. Doesn't seem like that should be happening...... 

So I addressed the file management.  Opened both plan and layout in X12.   I did a save-as for the plan file. Put into another folder on computer.  All good.  Then did same with layout file.... still shows as X10!  Repeated the process with the layout to double check..... now both files are back to X10...... some weird sh@t going on..... oh well its more irritation than anything.  

Eric,  I was traveling, so I put an X12 plan and layout on my flash drive from my desktop.    When I am at a hotel,  I placed the said flash drive into my laptop and the files both showed as X10.  I went to file management as suggested and associated files to my X12 version.  Then I did the following:

Opened both plan and layout in X12.   I did a save-as for the plan file. Put into another folder on computer.  All good.  Then did same with layout file.... still shows as X10!  Repeated the process with the layout to double check..... now both files are back to X10.  I repeated the process after deleting all saved files and both still show as X10  for some reason when I do save-as in X12.  I HAD THE PLAN SAVED AS X12, BUT NOW CAN'T REPLICATE IT.  IT JUST SHOWS AS X10 IN THE FOLDER I SAVED IT TO UNLIKE THE FIRST TIME.    

Another odd thing.  When I go to the file management and associate files to this x12 version, it should be grayed out after doing it once, shouldn't it?  Every time I go back to it,  it remains selectable.  Shouldn't it be grayed out after doing it once?

1 hour ago, RJBPILOT said:

I have the latest X12 plans changing to X10 when I send them to a flash drive or if I email the plan to my laptop which is also running the latest X12

This was confusing in your OP.

It sounded like the file format was changing versions when it is really the file association is changing.

The file format is still remaining as X12.

If you try and open one of the files in X12, by first opening Chief and then opening the file, it works OK?

No to your last question. 

I have X12 open on my laptop > open the flash drive and see the files I sent there from my desktop as X10 even though they were X12 files when sent there> I open them in X12 on my laptop > save-as (in X12) > send to a new folder on laptop > then they still show as X10 files!     But when I first did it the plan file WAS saved as X12 file, but I can not replicate that again for some reason.  The Layout file never converted, however.  No both don't.   

4 minutes ago, RJBPILOT said:

No to your last question. 

I have X12 open on my laptop > open the flash drive and see the files I sent there from my desktop as X10 even though they were X12 files when sent there> I open them in X12 on my laptop > save-as (in X12) > send to a new folder on laptop > then they still show as X10 files!     But when I first did it the plan file WAS saved as X12 file, but I can not replicate that again for some reason.  The Layout file never converted, however.  No both don't.   

If chief was indeed overwriting an X10 file when you saved it in X12 , it would warn you it was about to overwrite an older File version with the new save....... no warning?

Never had a MAC but it sounds like perhaps you have a Icon database corruption issue perhaps ( happen on Windows too ), do a bit of googling when you have time , there are posts like this one out there :

Repair incorrect icon associations | Macworld

M.

Wow, so many posts and so much confusion.

X12 is not capable of writing out plans in the X10 file format.  If you saved the files using X12, then they are indeed X12 files regardless of what your OS shows as the program icon.

The icon is only showing you what program your OS thinks the file is associated with.  If you haven't read the tech article that Josh posted above, then please go read the tech article.  If following the instructions of the tech article do not solve your problem, then please call our technical support team during our normal business hours and they will be more than happy to try and help you solve your problems.

• Upvote 2