Real Time Ray Tracing in X13

HumbleChief

8 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Webinar is showing all the new features. VERY nice, but for PC only...

The only feature not available for Mac, and it’s a big one, is the Real-time Raytrace. 
On the other hand what will be available for Mac are the other new features like the Clay view and the ability to add line drawings over all views. 
I’m really happy with that and worth the price of admission for X13 even if I’m on a Mac. (damn you apple)

Chief really hit a home run with that live Raytrace. Bravo!

Twinmotion who?

The Mac version should be priced lower if it's missing this huge feature. I haven't seen any sneak peeks but it sounds like a large chunk of X13 development went into this feature. Paying full price for half an update would violate my sense of fairness.

@Dermot can you say if this upgraded feature is coming to the Mac OS??

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, glennw said:

Where can we find this webinar please?

Go to Chief’s Facebook page. 
Left panel and select “videos”

link to webinar registration...

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/3958985539479665933?source=Social

You'll have to fill in your name and email as if registering for the webinar (which is in the past)

Then the video will immediately play. 

• Upvote 1

The Mac version should be priced lower if it's missing this huge feature. I haven't seen any sneak peeks but it sounds like a large chunk of X13 development went into this feature. Paying full price for half an update would violate my sense of fairness.

We price our software the same, regardless of what your hardware is capable of.  Currently, real time ray tracing is only supported on certain modern video cards (like the Nvidia RTX cards).  We expect there to be more and better support for this in the future.  If you want to take advantage of this feature when X13 becomes available, then you may need to upgrade your hardware. 

@Dermot can you say if this upgraded feature is coming to the Mac OS??

This is completely out of our control.

https://www.quora.com/Why-can-t-RTX-real-time-ray-tracing-happen-on-Mac-OS

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dermot said:

We price our software the same, regardless of what your hardware is capable of.  Currently, real time ray tracing is only supported on certain modern video cards (nvidia).  We expect there to be more and better support for this in the future.  If you want to take advantage of this feature when X13 becomes available, then you may need to upgrade your hardware. 

Just curious.  Can you tell us what are min Nvida card required to run?

I am probably do for an upgraded box here at some point, but my GTX 970 will run oculus.  Curious if it will handle this new feature?

Thanks

1 hour ago, VisualDandD said:

GTX 970 will run oculus.  Curious if it will handle this new feature?

No, only the Nvidia 2000 and new 3000 Series Video Cards have the hardware (RTX Chips) needed for RTRT  

*** I believe stating that the Nvidia 1060 can do Hardware Real Time Raytacing is wrong, as far as I know the 10 Series (or older) cards

like my 1070ti GTX do not have the Hardware to do it...the Card Version/Name must include the RTX moniker otherwise RTRT

will run in software only ( the Nvidia Driver )  and be very slow.

NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready Driver Enables RTX on GTX cards (wccftech.com)

it's why I picked up a new laptop with a 2070 Super in it, in anticipation and will likely get a 3070Ti for my desktop when they become available

to replace my 1070ti

M.

Not particually impressed w/ the quality of the RT shown.  Probably stems from inability to modify material properties.  I like how in Lumion you can 'soften' and 'weather' materials.  Also the ability to create real time bump maps and modify relief..etc.

BUT what I could see using that I think would be really nice, is the line drawing over!  That is  a beautiful type presentation.  The lines make it clear that this is a visualization and hence, materials dont need to be 'perfect'.   I could totally see using this.  Along with Clay.  Very nice!

The presenter had an RTX 3080 which is as good as it gets. In PBR mode the scenes where taking about 3 - 4 seconds to resolve, lesser cards are going to take longer. The Raytrace looks ok but I noticed a significant amount of noise in most of those interior scenes. Also noticed some light bleed issues in some and those jaggy lines are still there, most noticeable on on window frames. Though the raytracing is real time it looks as if many of the past raytrace problems are still there, will see when X13 is released.

5 hours ago, Dermot said:

We price our software the same, regardless of what your hardware is capable of.  Currently, real time ray tracing is only supported on certain modern video cards (like the Nvidia RTX cards).  We expect there to be more and better support for this in the future.  If you want to take advantage of this feature when X13 becomes available, then you may need to upgrade your hardware. 

I was unaware. Thanks for clearing that up. Love the program and happy to continue supporting SSA for all the great benefits beyond simply upgraded features.

I have to chuckle at the memory from years ago of people here scoffing at my suggestion that we would eventually have real time, photo realistic raytracing, that photo realism would just become the standard render mode.  I guess it has been ten years , but here we are.....

I just watched the webinar and while a little disappointed that there is no real time ray tracing on the mac, the other improvements will keep me happy.

One thing I want to comment on is the question from a user that went unanswered on how to make the wall joints and other vertical edges appear vertical in a 3D perspective view (like they are in an orthographic view).

It was pointed out that this was a feature of another program and it seemed to be assumed that Chief did not have this tool or capability.

If you do want vertical edges to appear vertical in a perspective view (a 2 point perspective instead of a 3 point perspective), all you have to do is change the camera's Tilt Angle to zero.

Maybe the person who asked the question will see this.  

25 minutes ago, glennw said:

If you do want vertical edges to appear vertical in a perspective view (a 2 point perspective instead of a 3 point perspective), all you have to do is change the camera's Tilt Angle to zero.

This was my first thought when the person asked the question. I guess Scott Harris was maybe too caught up in the presentation to think of this simple, but effective, way to accomplish what the attendant seemed to ask.

Not sure how many have a noticed a distinct change in Chief's willingness to share new technologies and features in upcoming versions. This was always thought of as bad business letting your competitors know what you have planned in advance and X13 is breaking that mold in a refreshing and organized manner. Great strategy IMO as a way to build momentum up to the new release. Check out the webinars including X13 upcoming improvements on the web site. Looking forward to each and every one of them. NICE.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Not sure how many have a noticed a distinct change in Chief's willingness to share new technologies and features in upcoming versions. This was always thought of as bad business letting your competitors know what you have planned in advance and X13 is breaking that mold in a refreshing and organized manor. Great strategy IMO as a way to build momentum up to the new release.

I think it is mostly a survival marketing strategy for this situation we are currently in.  Not sure a lot of people will be flying to big trade shows that would normally happen or at least a lot fewer than in previous years.  It has always been more difficult for international users or prospective users to attend anyway so I like the refreshing change and hope it is something that can continue. :)