Ceiling Height (Absolute Elevations) Garage

CRMChris

Hello

This is my first time using the discussion group so forgive me if I didn't follow proper procedures. My question is one where I am seeking understanding, Iam using X12, and  I have a one story structure with a siding 6 wall type, after I add a foundation and click into the room specification on floor/level 0 and look at the ceiling height in the absolute elevation section the ceiling height is -14 1/8" and the floor height is -22 1/8" and my brain wont let me go any further until i figure this out. After selecting the help option I understand that elevation 0 is the top of the subfloor for the first floor. My question is why isn't the top of the slab reference as 0 instead of -22 1/8" and where or what is the -14 1/8" referenced from or on?    

Screenshot (202).png

16 hours ago, solver said:

Garages are odd and work a bit different.

Garages work like any other room.  It's the Floor Supplied by the Foundation Room Below that we need to talk about.

Remember, Walls define Rooms. Rooms are essentially just big 3D boxes created inside the space enclosed by those walls. The various Room settings control what is automatically happening inside those boxes. In some cases we want the real world room to occupy the space of 2 of those boxes. This is where things like Open Below and in this case, Floor Supplied by the Foundation Room Below come into play...

Rooms.thumb.jpg.cc66a4d0929bcdc0336b819dd7c5fd93.jpg

Hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This is where things like Open Below and in this case, Floor Supplied by the Foundation Room Below come into play...

That's an excellent graphic Michael, I wish I'd seen that when I first started.  The whole garage floor thing gave me some grief early on in the learning curve.
Curious if you know whether setting the 'floor supplied by foundation room below' is pulling the same behind the curtains strings as setting the room to 'open below'?

• 2 weeks later...