3D PDF

zbrant57

I did a few a while back, sample attached.

Export from a 3D view; don't remember file type likely dae or 3ds? textures don't matter as 3D pdf won't bring them in. Then opened that in TurboCad and used a plugin for that to get the final 3D PDF which I then annotated in Bluebeam.

Not worth the trouble, I don't bother nowadays.

Export to Chief 3D viewer file is simpler, faster and does a lot of what a 3D PDF will do except :  notes need to be added prior to export and can't dimensions in 3D. Then again a couple of detail drawings on a flat pdf suffice maybe with a 3D view or two and easier for other to mark up if needed. Just my 2 cents.

30 Micro 3D.pdf

6 minutes ago, ericepv said:

The OP asked how to print 3D view as a PDF, heres's an example which was created by Chief PDF:

10th St Kitchen-under counter power.pdf

6 hours ago, zbrant57 said:

Does anybody know how to print to a 3d PDF with chief architect??? Thanks much

Nope he asked how to print to a 3d pdf.  @ericepv you might want to delete so as to not confuse others.

thanks for all the input guys, i guess with chief architect a 3 pdf just isn't the way to go, am just looking for an easy way to share a 3d viewer file with clients. One that has the ability to be rotated and navigated thru without having to have clients download a chief architect viewer., thanks much for the insight.

9 minutes ago, zbrant57 said:

thanks for all the input guys, i guess with chief architect a 3 pdf just isn't the way to go, am just looking for an easy way to share a 3d viewer file with clients. One that has the ability to be rotated and navigated thru without having to have clients download a chief architect viewer., thanks much for the insight.

Just FYI, there’s a pretty high likelyhood you’ll have to get your clients to download another viewer for the 3D PDF anyway.  It’s not universally supported.  Plenty of the most common PDF viewers/editors don’t support it at all.  

12 minutes ago, zbrant57 said:

One that has the ability to be rotated and navigated thru without having to have clients download a chief architect viewer

This is not the full viewer that opens a plan file, this is on the web. On a computer nothing needs to be downloaded it opens in a browser-example here

On a phone or tablet yes they need to download the free viewer.

Michael- Adobe Reader can open 3D PDF and included views, bit fussy to navigate IMO but it works.

4 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Michael- Adobe Reader can open 3D PDF and included views, bit fussy to navigate IMO but it works.

Ya, I realize that.  It’s being used less and less though in favor of other apps and even just web browsers.  I personally haven’t had Adobe installed for years.

I used to use it quite often a few years back, but not so much anymore as others have pointed out.

The method I used was to export from CA as a 3DS file and import into TurboCAD Pro Platinum then export as a U3D or 3D PDF file.  So far as I know this method still works.  Getting the objects on correct layers can turn out to be a bit of work though.

Maybe there is a better format that maintains layer assignments that I am not aware of.

Hope this is helpful.

37 minutes ago, zbrant57 said:

Thanks everyone again, rod, great suggestion, i dont have turbocad but i do have avicad, and it can do the same thing, sucess!!!! see attached 3d pdf

It looks like you have some textures embedded ?   Are they carried through from Chief or reassigned in avicad ?

It sounds like Mark does not get them in turbocad.  Is that your experience as well @RodCole ?

Chop

I am not exactly following your question.  I believe that it is only the Pro Platinum version of TurboCAD that exports to the 3D PDF format.  As far as importing PDF files I believe that it is only 2D PDF that can be imported.  So, TurboCAD is only good for exporting the 3D file, not for viewing it as I understand it.

When I opened the file it opened in Bluebeam for me, which is my default program.  I do see that multiple layers are available in the file as well as solid fills. One of the reasons that I do not use the 3D PDF format much anymore is not that it is not very useful, but rather that the viewing programs available seem to be to difficult for people to learn how to use and so they just don't bother.  That makes it hard for me to want to continue creating these files when folks don't use them anywhere near there full potential.  My 2 cents.

I think the answer to your question is that the rendering options available in the viewer app being used controls how the objects are seen on screen.  Good question though.  I would kind of like to know the answer to your question, as I understand it, as well.

I think that it would require seeing the 3DS file from Chief that Zbrant57 used to understand this situation a little better.

Yes I only use the 3D PDF's in specific situation for a lot of the reasons you have outlined.  I have a method using chief's .DAE export file that is quite involved but does a good job of maintaining chief's assigned textures so I wanted to compare with Turbo Cad and the new method that @zbrant57 mentioned using Avicad.

The screen shot below is 96 dpi of zbrant57's posted file and I am noticing using Adobe's Solid Outline rendering option that the textures are quite pixilated on the post footings and deck railing as well as the elevated wooden floor joists. Where as the concrete slabs are quite similar to one of chief's default concrete textures.

image.thumb.png.82678c840e4a7cf341c81f27aa08a862.png

just so you'll know, i'm not really interested in this from an architectural stand point so textures and layers don't come into the picture for me, i just want to be able to send a 3d capable file that is easily read by most people with a computer hence adobe reader,. the file you see is a foundation design on a very steep slope, micropiles up top to hold up a parking deck and structure utilizing steel columns and beams, lowered section with treated studs is a pool in the basement and a cantilevered back deck which will be around 45' off the ground