Store Front Windows/Door

kwhitt

I've got a store front with commercial windows, door, and sidelights - see attached.  I have tried mulling these units together with no success - creates a real mess with the wall layers.  I could easily model this configuration in another app and bring into Chief as a symbol, but not sure what to bring it in as.  If I opt for window type, I won't need casings, jambs, etc, added to the symbol.  Further, my first attempts would not let me get away with the non-rectangular cut-out.  What is the best way to go about this?  Thanks, Kevin

Untitled 1.jpg

2020-10-26 09.29.10.jpg

13 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I've got a store front with commercial windows, door, and sidelights - see attached.  I have tried mulling these units together with no success - creates a real mess with the wall layers.  I could easily model this configuration in another app and bring into Chief as a symbol, but not sure what to bring it in as.  If I opt for window type, I won't need casings, jambs, etc, added to the symbol.  Further, my first attempts would not let me get away with the non-rectangular cut-out.  What is the best way to go about this?  Thanks, Kevin

Untitled 1.jpg

2020-10-26 09.29.10.jpg

Mulling together can be done but needs to be done in order.  Also the upper window should be set to level 1 instead of 0 so that it mulls correctly.  Try mulling together the two side lites and door first, then the upper window last.  The side window doesn't need to be mulled as you can place it manually properly and it would be separate, however if you mull that at the end it will as well...  Here is an example all mulled together: 

image.thumb.png.d7b4c769510cc1a0f96b82d109089273.png

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Further, my first attempts would not let me get away with the non-rectangular cut-out.  What is the best way to go about this?

If you decide to go the symbol route, just import as a regular fixture, click on the Options tab, set the symbol to Inserts Into Wall, set the Depth to match your wall thickness + any desired offset into the room and then after you place the symbol, select it while in an elevation and click the Edit Wall Cutout Polyline tool.  Now adjust your wall cutout to whatever you want it to be.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Mulling together can be done but needs to be done in order.  Also the upper window should be set to level 1 instead of 0 so that it mulls correctly.  Try mulling together the two side lites and door first, then the upper window last.  The side window doesn't need to be mulled as you can place it manually properly and it would be separate, however if you mull that at the end it will as well...  Here is an example all mulled together: 

image.thumb.png.d7b4c769510cc1a0f96b82d109089273.png

Thanks Ryan.  I have done everything you suggestion including the window level to 1.  Just like in your example, I get a double frame between the door section and the offset window. I know that it doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd like to to more closely resemble what's there.  Kevin

9 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

If you decide to go the symbol route, just import as a regular fixture, click on the Options tab, set the symbol to Inserts Into Wall, set the Depth to match your wall thickness + any desired offset into the room and then after you place the symbol, select it while in an elevation and click the Edit Wall Cutout Polyline tool.  Now adjust your wall cutout to whatever you want it to be.

Thanks Michael.  I'll try importing as fixture and adjust the cut-out.  Kevin

1 minute ago, joey_martin said:

Is the distance between set to 0 or the standard 2" OOB?

It's set to "0".  Still giving me problems.  I think I can model it to more closely resemble the unit outside of Chief.

image.thumb.png.12d50ac6a67ce600b6c4f99e41059e9b.pngDone in Chief- mulled door and fixed panels all set at single height, then mulled window (default level 0), then tabbed into fixed panel to increase height , then other panel. Other settings explode to check dbx- framing rough set to 0, minimum separation to 0

And you can show it open at no extra charge :)

image.thumb.png.6aa09e23d284558f30cd8ae2d221af9c.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, solver said:

Not sure why everything needs to be mulled. Here I mulled the door and flanking windows.

ct1.thumb.png.fc899cafc2e8c526ae4c750d5a3adc8d.png

Eric - are you using jambs or a frame to define the glass area with no sash on the window or have you removed the frame and altered the sash to define the frame?  How did you get the offset window to "share" a common frame with the sidelight?  This is what I have been unable to do.  Kevin

3 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Ryan.  I have done everything you suggestion including the window level to 1.  Just like in your example, I get a double frame between the door section and the offset window. I know that it doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd like to to more closely resemble what's there.  Kevin

I am sorry I would need to see what you are referring to as a "double frame"  maybe a picture?  My guess is that you have it set to add casing to mulled units which you will need to turn off casing/lintels/sills to match what you want.

• Like 1