Foundation wall framing

stevenyhof

I have run into this with a few plans. I did not use provide framing detail, but for the clients that want to see the detail in 3D, I like to produce a 3D framing model that can mess with online. However, I have found that some of my walls in the foundation area do not generate the framing as the main and second floors do.

The support walls with a footing do not show as framing. And the Fur walls also do not show framing. Also the lower daylight walls remain with siding on them.

Thoughts ???

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zSLeZLDIRSsZWin7R1bfHL-OOxYNFiQZ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R1gDrY234MUOCFKEaz6Eg9SRFR9EoURt/view?usp=sharing

Thank you,

Steve

3.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

Make them normal walls rather than foundation walls and see if that gives you what you want. You can still specify that they are bearing, and contain footings, but I think the problem is they are FOUNDATION walls and not NORMAL walls

Ah! I will do that. Was wondering about that.

16 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The problem lies with the Pony Wall definition.  In order to get rid of the surface layers you need to turn off the wall layer.  Turning off the wall layer turns off the concrete portion. 

I will mess with layers first. Would rather fix it that way than recreate my walls. But it does not take long to recreate the walls.

7 minutes ago, SNestor said:

@stevenyhof - if you could create a "simple" view you could try using the surface delete tool, save the camera. But - it's a time consuming process on a large complex view. 

2020-10-23_17-00-28.thumb.png.d060ebc0f27b3bb060bb48af5634d8f1.png

I will do that. I was doing that at first but then figured the walls must be wrong somehow.

15 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I will mess with layers first. Would rather fix it that way than recreate my walls. But it does not take long to recreate the walls.

Sorry if my post was confusing.  I wasn't actually offering a solution.  I was just trying to explain what is happening.

3 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Make them normal walls rather than foundation walls and see if that gives you what you want. You can still specify that they are bearing, and contain footings, but I think the problem is they are FOUNDATION walls and not NORMAL walls

Making them normal allows me to turn off the Wall, Normal layer to expose the framing, But Michael is right, it is with the Pony Wall. Ideally, a pony wall should maybe allow us to maintain or control the walls within the pony assembly. I want to keep the foundation and footings on the walls.

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

if you could create a "simple" view you could try using the surface delete tool, save the camera. But - it's a time consuming process on a large complex view. 

Steve may have the only answer at this time, spend the time to remove the layers and save. I like to upload a framing 3D model for the client to mess with on the online viewer. Maybe it is not so bad that the pony walls remain with its materials. The main focus is on the framing of the floors and trusses. Maybe another version will address this. I'm not sure when Pony walls were released, but with all new things there are always ramifications that need to be addressed.

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The problem lies with the Pony Wall definition.  In order to get rid of the surface layers you need to turn off the wall layer.  Turning off the wall layer turns off the concrete portion.

Yes Sir! Catch 22! Thank you

This was one way of doing this that I think will be ok. It will remove the foundation from the pony walls, but it keeps the framing which still shows more of the framing. Hopefully this will be addressed some day. 

I made the Pony walls, Walls, Daylight and turn them off with the Walls, Normal layer. The foundation wall will remain. The bearing walls are also Walls, Normal now so the framing shows us, but the footing is off - not cool, but ok. Thank you guys!

2.jpg

11 hours ago, solver said:

I briefly read the above comments, and did not watch this video again, but see if it gives you an idea.

From this thread

http://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/25172-framing-display-issues/

Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/pOY84lS_I6M?hd=1

•  

Just another dang time wasting Work-a-Round! Please suggest Chief fix all the Pony Wall idiosyncrasies (including alignment controls of Both Pony Walls Layers with upper walls etc). You can do it Nicky!

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, solver said:

I briefly read the above comments, and did not watch this video again, but see if it gives you an idea.

From this thread

http://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/25172-framing-display-issues/

Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/pOY84lS_I6M?hd=1

•  

Thank you Eric! I'm going to give it a try! 
I just got done putting different Plan Views together using the Reference Layers, and this, while a bit of a work around, seems to be a solution... For now. 

1 hour ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

Just another dang time wasting Work-a-Round! Please suggest Chief fix all the Pony Wall idiosyncrasies (including alignment controls of Both Pony Walls Layers with upper walls etc). You can do it Nicky!

Exactly, while at it can we specify max plate length like [16'] to avoid 120' single plates and properly account for studs at plate ends.

Yes we can chop every single wall into 16' sections and if anything moves you are SOL. 

• Upvote 1

While I am still learning Chief, I have several decades of Architectural CAD experience. I do bring up subjects now and then that are important to other users. Please click that Upvote button next to my posts and others engaging in the conversation if you think the subject is worth getting the attention of the developers. Thank you!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

While I am still learning Chief, I have several decades of Architectural CAD experience. I do bring up subjects now and then that are important to other users. Please click that Upvote button next to my posts and others engaging in the conversation if you think the subject is worth getting the attention of the developers. Thank you!!

Just an FYI that doesn't actually get the boost to suggestions.  Recently the Suggestions department clarified the best way to get a suggestion advanced other than having something unique that they feel is a great suggestion themselves is to have good support from others but not simply an upvote or a +1 rather a +1 with a fairly detailed reason why the user is in agreement and how it would help in their circumstances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Just an FYI that doesn't actually get the boost to suggestions.  Recently the Suggestions department clarified the best way to get a suggestion advanced other than having something unique that they feel is a great suggestion themselves is to have good support from others but not simply an upvote or a +1 rather a +1 with a fairly detailed reason why the user is in agreement and how it would help in their circumstances.

Yes, I remember that. I actually started that post :) I just want more Votes - it makes me feel important :lol: Seriously though... Votes may not help, but more users on a thread having a conversation about the subject I think can help get their attention... maybe - Thank you!