Was expecting more from X13 sneak peak from 2D Elevations Webinar

Michael_Gia

1 hour ago, Gawdzira said:

That woman's question regarding punching up the elevation line weights is the crux of the matter. CA is still not getting it. The line with air behind it needs to pop.

I would have assumed from her description, that she was not using a customized layer set, nor sending the views to layout using plot lines, would you agree?

I can't say I have any line weight issues, as I have them all controlled by a specific layer set. 

2 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

which is nice but a little underwhelming

This echoes my thoughts. I was expecting or hoping at least for some progress on

• fog,
  • foundation lines below the terrain,
  • no shadows below the terrain

I was very disappointed to see that they would even mention the 'edit layout lines' as anything but the very last possible tool to use to alter an elevation view. I literally NEVER use that because you can't preserve your changes, and let's face it, clients love to make changes to completed plans. Also, if the model is spot on, its rarely required.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

+1,000,000

Shadows below the terrain is one item that makes drop my face into my palms on a regular basis. The alternative would be to setup 2 cameras with different layer sets, send them both to layout, then resize the layout boxes at the terrain, so the top layout box displays everything above the terrain, and the lower box displays everything below the terrain. This would also take care of foundation line styles below grade, but I can't say I get paid enough to do that just for my own satisfaction.

I liked the automatic room clipping and vaulted ceilings feature for interior elevations.

Otherwise, I agree that the biggest issue is line weights to "POP" the vector view.  Edge lines should be able to be automatically set to a higher value than Pattern lines and it should be in the plan views rather than in layout.

btw, I use a blocked rich text box with the %view.name% & %scale% macros in my elevations so that the title is contained directly in the view and gets sent to layout rather than using separate titles in the layout page.  Whatever I name the view in the Project Browser is automatically displayed as the title.  The block is stored in my library and can be placed in any plan, section, elevation or cad detail.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't watched any videos yet; I've only seen 'hints' about it in the forum.  We're working on improving our systems and I've seen lots of comments about needing a different of graphics card.  This has me wondering if we should be prepared in the next couple months or the next couple years.  It looks like lately CA has been releasing mid-year every year?

3 minutes ago, Katy_DDR said:

It looks like lately CA has been releasing mid-year every year?

Public Beta is usually out for the KBIS Show in LV in late Feb each year, and then the Full release is usually a month Later....   ( I have no knowledge if that is next year's plan though)

Not a different kind of graphics card just one that will support Real Time Ray Tracing (RTRT) ...current this is Nvidia Cards with RTX technology ie the 2000 or 3000 Series that may change soon as I think AMD new Cards will support it through Direct X12 Ultimate too.

The Webinars are all posted here Recorded Live Stream Webinars (chiefarchitect.com)

1 hour ago, BWoods said:

Was there anything in there about Multiline dimension text? Thats probably my most missed feature, being certified in and having previously used AutoCAD. 

Some additions, it's mentioned in a post in the Suggestion Forum.

M.

• 1 month later...

Please remember that these sneak peek videos are not a complete list of what will be in X13.  You might want to reserve your final judgement until you see the actual list of what's new.

"Why not ask users what they want after all its us thats using the software."

Actually, we do this all the time.  Our marketing team sends out a customer survey every year.  We also talk one-on-one with customers at trade shows, training events, and user group meetings. We even have a place on this forum where people can post suggestions:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/forum/8-suggestions/

If there is something that you would like to see us work on, then you should ask for it.  The more people that ask for things, the quicker they move up our priority list.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 4:43 PM, joey_martin said:

Patently false. There are still things I would like to see, but saying I have less now than I did back in v.9.5 is simply false.

Chief is terrible blah blah blah.. I have made over a hundred grand seven straight years with Chief Architect versus Revit I pay a boatload for and make pennies. If Chief did one new thing with X13 it's still worth it..