What Is The Best Way To Do A Sloping Ceiling Over A Stair?

Fun2Learn

What is the best tool to create a sloping ceiling over a stair? I have two situations like this in my home (I'm trying to draw the "as-built" for practice with Chief). The --sloping ceiling over part of the first floor stair also creates a sloping floor in a closet directly above it.  The other sloping ceiling is over part of the basement stairs--that one doesn't impact the floor above. (The floor structures are 18" open-web floor joists, so the ceiling/floor "sandwich" is rather deep and I manually added  the trusses in the framing plans.)

If I use the ceiling plane tool, I don't get any framing. I have tried the soffit tool as well. I did a search on the old Chief Talk forum and found an old post where someone (I think it was Scott Hall) recommended using the roof tool, so I tried that over the first floor stair and set the roofing material to "carpet" (good thing the computer is "dumb" and didn't question that , ha, ha.) Anyway, with each of these tools, in section I am seeing problems, such as the floor trusses and flat ceilings extending into the sloped ceiling area, even though my manually drawn framing stops the trusses at the sloped ceiling areas. 

Any suggestions as to which tool will give the best results? Are there any videos that anyone knows of that show a good way to do this?

Thanks.

Phyllis

post-1112-0-74864100-1416078761_thumb.jpg

post-1112-0-94395800-1416078784_thumb.jpg

Elsner Home.plan

Phyllis,

Once you send those cross section views to layout they are editable, line by line using the "Edit Layout" tool, I mean that is what that tool is for - for editing and cleaning up Chief's 3-D errors and extra or missing lines.

If you wanted to 3D model a sloped ceiling, I would add a poly-line solid to emulate the sloped ceiling in camera views. It is all a matter of appearances and aparancies as opposed to actualities in our racket.

DJP

Phyllis,

Once you send those cross section views to layout they are editable, line by line using the "Edit Layout" tool, I mean that is what that tool is for - for editing and cleaning up Chief's 3-D errors and extra or missing lines.

If you wanted to 3D model a sloped ceiling, I would add a poly-line solid to emulate the sloped ceiling in camera views. It is all a matter of appearances and aparancies as opposed to actualities in our racket.

DJP

Thanks, David.  So, are you implying that this kind of unusual ceiling/floor situation can't really be achieved automatically to be shown completely correct in both 2-d and 3-d in Chief ?(at least for now--maybe X7!) If that is so, I guess now I don't feel quite so incompetent with Chief , then!  I guess I don't mind having to do the manual "clean up" or work-around if I just KNEW that was what would be required, before spending so much time trying to figure it out. I guess I should have asked y'all sooner before I spent so much time trying to get it all correct automatically!  I did ask Chief's tech support, and one  man was trying to help me, but then another tech support agent took over the "ticket" and said that this was beyond the scope of SSA and offered their extremely expensive (to me anyway) personal tutoring. I am so thankful for this forum!

Thanks again,

Phyllis

• Like 1

I did not look at plan, but maybe a sloped ceiling plane will work.

Ceiling planes do have framing. Check to see the layer is turned on in section view.

Thanks, Scott and Perry. I will try the ceiling plane tool and make sure the framing  layer is turned on.

Phyllis

On second thought I would agree that a ceiling plane would, overall work best. The last time I used a poly-line solid, I did not auto-frame the plan (that was unnecessary for that one). My answer was geared for a quick 3D solution or just for construction documents without framing.

DJP

Yeah, I did a vid on this somewhere. I do not think I would of said use a roof plane, almost positive I would of suggested ceiling plane.

I have done this probably 4 times on plans and it was doable.

Scott--I tried to find the post in "legacy" Chief talk forum, but I couldn't find it (didn't want to spend too much time, though). I think the reason you (or whoever else it might have been )may have suggested using a roof plan was because they needed the floor above to be sloping as well.  Where would I search for the video, if it is still around? 

Thanks,

Phyllis

Phyllis, I have no clue where it is. Nuts, if I get into office early enough in AM, maybe I will try to do a quick vid, sorry, I just don't know how to find those old vids, I kind of did them only if I did not know the answer so if was a learning process for me...... I think your p,an is posted..... I will see if I can do vid in AM.

You need to turn on auto wall, roof and ceiling framing for framing to be there. I got it to work

Thanks so much, Perry! It looks like turning on the "auto framing" didn't mess up the manually drawn floor trusses, either (from the section you posted.) In one of my earlier attempts to do the framing, I ended up with 2 x  floor joists automatically showing up underneath my floor trusses (giving me a very low ceiling!), so I think I turned off the auto framing.

Would I be able to put a plywood subfloor and carpeting on this automatically somehow, or would I just have to draw it in manually if I use the ceiling plane tool? (The first floor stair's sloping ceiling actually forms a sloping floor in the closet above (the ceiing doesn't actually slope where you have shown it in the section you posted, but that is ok--I get the idea. The results look great!)

I appreciate the time you took to help me!

Phyllis

Phyllis, I have no clue where it is. Nuts, if I get into office early enough in AM, maybe I will try to do a quick vid, sorry, I just don't know how to find those old vids, I kind of did them only if I did not know the answer so if was a learning process for me...... I think your p,an is posted..... I will see if I can do vid in AM.

Scott--you are so kind! I don't want you to have to go to any trouble, however. I just wasn't sure if it was on a you tube channel, or on Chief tutors, or in legacy Chief talk, or whatever. If I knew where to look, I could search for it, but maybe it would be too many Chief versions ago anyway! 

Thanks so much,

Phyllis