Best Mac Laptop for running chief

Ronniesha

49 minutes ago, Ronniesha said:

Hi

Thinking about going from a iMac desktop to a mac laptop so I can work from home, coffee shop, etc. What is a good mac laptop that can run chief effieciently? 

TIA!

The new 2019 MacBook Pro 16” with as much ram and GPU upgrade as you can afford.

I have a MacBook Pro 2019 16”, great for Chief but horrible with printers. 

I have it connected to a 24” monitor in my office, so this way I have two screens.  
It’s convenient to just grab it off my desk and head out to the site or visit a client or sit in a café (when they were open). 

However....Chief works better on a pc laptop. You need to be married to the apple eco system pretty deep to be worth it. If I had to do it over again, I’d never have gotten onto the apple train. 
At the time it made sense since windows was a mess but not anymore. Also the advent of cloud computing has also made the apple eco system have less of an edge over windows these days. 

my 2 cents. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also about to upgrade my Mac - currently have an aging MacBook Pro 15" that runs X12 ok but not well with a pair of external 4K 24" monitors.

Has anyone heard anything about X12 (or X13) support for the Apple Silicon MacBooks expected to announce next week and be available later this month?

Thanks.

I am super happy with both of my systems (see signature below.)  I use chief daily on them and have no complaints.  Maybe a little bummed that the new RTRT wont be available but there are rumors that with next weeks releases that may be adjusted.

I've only ever used CA on a Mac laptop so I don't have anything else to compare to. I currently have a 2018 MacBook Pro 15" 2.9Ghz 32 GB 2400 Mhz RAM.

I have it flanked by two 27" Thunderbolt displays, which gives me loads of area to spread my work out.

The only unresolved glitch I have is that it doesn't play nice with imported PDFs, so I convert them to JPGs.

I like to take it to the job site to field measure, or take it into presentations. In our conference room I run the presentation from the conference table onto a wall display.

I guess portability is a big deal to me. But portability isn't exclusive to a Mac. It's just that a Mac is what I use, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Here's mine, it's does a very good job.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2.4 GHz *-Core Intel i9

32 GB RAM

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M video card

2TB SSD storage

One note about the MacBook Pro, it uses the onboard Intel Graphics card when on battery unless you override that in System Preferences.  Plugged in, it uses the Radeon Video Card.